Indoor Pool - New Water

Jun 18, 2012
Suwanee, GA
I haven't been around in a while but have found the members of this forum extremely helpful and gracious. Just acquired a home that was essentially abandoned for two years and it has an indoor pool. After checking things out, pumps, filters, heater, etc, we decided to fill the pool. Fortunately everything seems to be working fine. Now to the chemistry. the pool is approximately 30,000 gallons, and I have the following results:
FC=0.0
CC=0.5
TC=0.5
PH=7.2
T/A=20
CH=25
CYA=No reading

The pool was filled with city water a couple of days ago. Wondering what I need to add in order to get the right balance. I just want to make sure the calculators will work given that its an indoor pool. Very little direct sunlight actually hits the pool.

Thanks in advance for your responses. If there's anything else you need to help me out please do not hesitate to ask.

Alex

Even though its an indoor pool, taking your CYA up to 30ppm will buffer the chlorine you need. I *believe* that indoor pools can run with FC in the 1-3ppm range, but I'll let other folks with indoor pools speak on that level. Due to the CYA test being so subjective, its easier to read at the 30ppm level, so I changed my initial suggestion of 20ppm to 30ppm.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You need to increase your CH because if you don't the pool water will leach it out of the plaster and weaken your walls.

You don't mention a Salt reading- do you have the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit? When you add salt, make sure the SWG is OFF, and let the salt mix in for a day or two. Only after it is entirely dissolved and mixed in should you turn the SWG on. In the meantime use regular household bleach (and PoolMath) to sanitize your water.

Bring your TA up a bit, perhaps to 70, and then see how your pH runs.

I'm searching out more information on indoor chemistry levels for you.....be right back!!

Yip :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.