Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Indoor Pool - New Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Indoor Pool - New Water

I haven't been around in a while but have found the members of this forum extremely helpful and gracious. Just acquired a home that was essentially abandoned for two years and it has an indoor pool. After checking things out, pumps, filters, heater, etc, we decided to fill the pool. Fortunately everything seems to be working fine. Now to the chemistry. the pool is approximately 30,000 gallons, and I have the following results:
    FC=0.0
    CC=0.5
    TC=0.5
    PH=7.2
    T/A=20
    CH=25
    CYA=No reading

The pool was filled with city water a couple of days ago. Wondering what I need to add in order to get the right balance. I just want to make sure the calculators will work given that its an indoor pool. Very little direct sunlight actually hits the pool.

Thanks in advance for your responses. If there's anything else you need to help me out please do not hesitate to ask.

Alex
    Jandy AquaLink RS Control Unit
    Jandy AquaPure SWCG
    Jandy 1hp pumps (3)
    35,000 Gal Pebble Tech
    Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filters
    Vanishing Edge, Spa w/Waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Indoor Pool - New Water

Even though its an indoor pool, taking your CYA up to 30ppm will buffer the chlorine you need. I *believe* that indoor pools can run with FC in the 1-3ppm range, but I'll let other folks with indoor pools speak on that level. Due to the CYA test being so subjective, its easier to read at the 30ppm level, so I changed my initial suggestion of 20ppm to 30ppm.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You need to increase your CH because if you don't the pool water will leach it out of the plaster and weaken your walls.

You don't mention a Salt reading- do you have the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit? When you add salt, make sure the SWG is OFF, and let the salt mix in for a day or two. Only after it is entirely dissolved and mixed in should you turn the SWG on. In the meantime use regular household bleach (and PoolMath) to sanitize your water.

Bring your TA up a bit, perhaps to 70, and then see how your pH runs.

I'm searching out more information on indoor chemistry levels for you.....be right back!!

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not a salt water pool, so no salt. Thanks for your help!

Jandy AquaPure SWCG
    Jandy 1hp pumps (3)
    35,000 Gal Pebble Tech

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Manalex View Post
    It's not a salt water pool, so no salt. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You don't use the Jandy AquaPure SWCG listed in your signature line??
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Indoor pools can follow the FC/CYA Chart, same as ourdoor pools. Just run at 30 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    You don't use the Jandy AquaPure SWCG listed in your signature line??
    Yippie, this is a different pool than the one listed. Sorry for the confusion.

Jandy AquaPure SWCG
    Jandy 1hp pumps (3)
    35,000 Gal Pebble Tech