Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need sand???

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need sand???

I am having my 15 foot pool installed next month. I bought the Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad to go under the bottom of the pool. Do I need sand also? The pool store guy told me to get a yard of mason sand? Is that needed and why?

Also, he recommended getting 2"x8"x16" pavers to go under each leg. Is that recommended as well? Thanks
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need sand???

The folks who have the least amount of trouble with their AGP sets up spend the extra time to prepare the site properly. You don't want to take any shortcuts and then find the pool out of kilter (which can be unsafe if "off" too much) as you'd have to then empty and re-do it.

The liner keeps weeds from moving up into your pool, and the sand makes for a softer bed. The pavers give the legs a solid surface to bear down on since its a lot of weight on those legs.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard