Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New House, comes with Hot Tub

1. Back To Top    #1

New House, comes with Hot Tub

Hello,
    I've bought a house which comes with a hot tub in the backyard. In Southern Ontario Canada. The Hot Tub was included "as is" and I know very little about it. I take possession at the end of the month. I was able to speak to the current owner and I asked him what he does to care for the hot tub (which they say they use daily and that there are no issues). He said they use a lithium cleaner and it's very easy and no issues just hard to source. He also let it slip that this stuff is so good he never has to change the water... and has only changed it twice in four years...

So I'm a little concerned about how filthy it really is in spite of looking clean and am seeking advice on where to get started.

I don't want to go to a store and get ripped off as I see many people have said has been the case. I know from my reading and searching on here I should start by buying the ahh-some cleaner. Where do I go from there though? I'm hoping to do this as cost effective as possible hence my desire to find out some information as to what I should buy now so that when we get the house, I have what I need to get working on cleaning it before jumping in. For Hot Tubs I've read I should be using bromine, is there a step by step as to what I should be doing to get started somewhere which I've been unable to find in my searching?

Sorry if this is an annoying question that comes up all the time, I did spent a lot of time reading and searching and wasn't quite sure if I was finding the right stuff.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New House, comes with Hot Tub

First off, you want to disinfect that tub with some Ahh-some. You can find it for sale on Amazon, but last time I purchased it cheaper from NewEgg.com

Ahh-Some for Jetted Baths, Hot Tubs Swim Spas - Ahh-Some Water Cleanser for Your Pool, Hut Tub, Jet Bath, Swim Spa and Washing Machine
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

After you clean it up with Ahh-some you can use this process to maintain it going forward. I've been using this process to maintain my tub for years. It works great. How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the response. I have done some more reading and have also watched some more YouTube videos.
    So far, I have now purchased the Ahh-Some cleaner off of eBay which seemed to be the cheapest place I could find it.

The next things on my list to buy are:
    - Spa Pure Brominating Disinfectant Tablets - 1.5 Kg, $36.75 CAD
    - Leisure Time Spa Down - 2 Lbs, $16.99 CAD
    - Leisure Time Spa Up - 2 Lbs, $18 CAD
    - Bromine Dispensing Floater
    - Testing Strips - I know people on here recommend the tf test kits but they are considerably more expensive for an up front cost when I'm still not even 100% sure if we want to keep the tub or if the work will be too much...

Is there anything I am forgetting?

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, if you want to use Bromine then read this,
    How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

But, still use the PH and TA sections of the chlorine article to manage your pH and TA.

It is better to use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid to lower PH. Dry acid adds sulfate to the water which can damage some heaters over time. You probably won't need to raise PH ever. But, pH up is just baking soda, you can use some from your fridge.

More here about pool chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, take a look at pooldv his suggestion and also at a tf100 kit. Compared to know what your doing or any other measuring device it is not expensive.
    Arctic Spa Klondike Legend SE
    AG / Filter Cardtrige 50m2/ TFP / borates / TF100
    478 gallon @ 99.5-103.1 F Depending on season
    Ozonator disconnected