Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace motor or pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace motor or pump?

It looks like my pool pump motor has finally died forever. I want to see if it's possible and will save money to just replace the motor with a 2 speed motor or if I am better off just replacing the entire pump.

The 2-speed pool pump motors run for about $350.00 while the entire pump runs for about $475. I am not sure if it's worth saving the $175 and replacing just the motor.

This is the motor in question.
    SQ1152
    https://www.amazon.com/Smith-SQ1152-.../dp/B007ATO26W
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Migoni
    20,000 Gallon in-ground PebbleTec pool, 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Quad DE-80 filter, In-Floor Cleaning CareTaker, city water, K-2005 test kit.

My Real Helmet assemble, paint and collect

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace motor or pump?

It's pretty simple to replace just the motor. No reason to replace pump unless it's really old or if it's losing capacity or making noise
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

I forgot to give a background of what happened.

1. Summer of 2016. Pool motor would make a humming sound and would not start. I replaced the start capacitor and pool pump worked fine until now.
    2. February 2017. Pool pump would start for about 3 seconds and then shut off.
    3. Replaced bearings and seals. No change
    4. Replaced run capacitor. No change
    5. Next steps, replace motor or pump

I would like to use a 2-speed motor/pump, but can't decide what will be the best option.

Dropbox - IMG_3818.JPG

If I do replace the pool pump, this is the best option that I found but please let me know what you think and any suggestions on what other pool pumps would be good.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-34004...Pentair+340042
    Migoni
    20,000 Gallon in-ground PebbleTec pool, 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Quad DE-80 filter, In-Floor Cleaning CareTaker, city water, K-2005 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree, replacing just the motor is pretty simple. I have already removed and installed the current motor twice.
    My question is if it's better to just replace the motor with an equivalent motor or would prefer a 2-speed motor. Knowing that the pool pump is 13 years old, it may be just better to replace the whole thing and start fresh.
    Migoni

5. Back To Top    #5

There's no reason not to just change out the motor. Check out the 2EZ Speed motors, they come with built in timer and can be found for about $350. Makes converting from a single speed to 2-speed easy.
    google search: 2-speed ez - Google Search
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, this is great info.
    Also my impeller has a hairline crack on it, it may be a good idea to replace it as well.
    Migoni