why is water coming back up through the skimmer?

Jun 5, 2009
Coventry, CT
i have an above ground pool with a doughboy skimmer, 1.5hp proline pump and a sand filter with a mulitport valve. yesterday, i backwashed the filter until the sight glass was clear then rinsed for 45 seconds, then ran the pump for about 8 hours. the pressure didn't climb at all during this time, but when i turned the pump off water came back up out of the skimmer. so much water that the lid was pushed off the skimmer. does anyone know what would cause this to happen?
thanks, Jared

Welcome to TFP

It sounds like your pump failed to prime, which would be unusual in an above ground pool. Is the pump above the pool water level? The water flowing back through the skimmer is a result of air being compressed in the filter. When the pump shuts off, the air expands and forces water out of the filter through the skimmer.

jroddvette:

I had similar problems with my inground pump when starting it up this year... I had a couple of small leaks that were keeping the pump from reaching full prime.

After fixing those, I cracked open the lid on my pump's filter basket to purge the air from the system. That seemed to do it for me, haven't had any issues since.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.