Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring a doheny's 1 hp pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring a doheny's 1 hp pump

My Hayward pump just gave out on me and I found a pump that is a Doheny 1 hp for above ground pools ,mine is a 16 foot above ground pool" on Craigslist. It was still in the box, the guy bought it and found out he needed a way bigger pump, so sold it to me for cheep. My problem is I got home and it didn't have the power cord, I took my old Hayward plug and want to just use it, but have no idea where to plug the white and black wires, anybody have one of these?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring a doheny's 1 hp pump

My name is eric, I have a 16 foot round pool from Leslie's pools, I have a 1hp doheny's pump hooked up right now after my Hayward gave out on me

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you take a picture of the side of the motor where the labels are. There you will see the wiring diagram. If you take a picture of that I'll tell you where to land your wires.
    15k gallon free form in ground. Marlin blue Diamond brite finish. Gray pavers deck with gray coping. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS pump, Hayward C4030 425 and Raypak 90k BTU Heatpump. Led pool light

4. Back To Top    #4

I was just thinking that. Most motors have a wiring diagram on them. If not, it should be in the manual.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's the picture, Screenshot_2017-03-07-09-13-55.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here's a close up of where the wires go, you can see that my black and white wires are from my Hayward power cord are in thereScreenshot_2017-03-07-09-15-15.jpg
    My name is eric, I have a 16 foot round pool from Leslie's pools, I have a 1hp doheny's pump hooked up right now after my Hayward gave out on me

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the manual, it doesn't give you any info, probably because it comes connected from the factory. If I do it wrong and turn it on is it going to burn it up?

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not sure. I don't know how important polarity is on a 110v pump.l That diagram on the motor is no help. There are not 2 lines coming in. That would be 220v. But, the other stickers says it is 110v. What color were the wires on the Hayward? Were they yellow and brown?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

One line in the 110v circuit is a neutral. Which is basically described as the other line. So your black and white assuming that it is a 115v circuit will be landed on 1 and 4 on the motor. There's no polarity with ac power.
    15k gallon free form in ground. Marlin blue Diamond brite finish. Gray pavers deck with gray coping. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS pump, Hayward C4030 425 and Raypak 90k BTU Heatpump. Led pool light

9. Back To Top    #9

No they are black and white, that's what makes it confusing when another company uses different colors

10. Back To Top    #10

Black and white are usually used to described a 115v circuit but I have seen places where black and white are 220 or 480v. Not theven right thing to do but that's why I always check with my meter I never assume with colors