Converting Salt to Chlorine?

free0177

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Austin, TX
I currently have a Chlorine Pool - but looking at a new home with a Salt Pool..

What is the general consensus, which is easier to maintain?

Would I want to convert it to Chlorine? If so, how expensive is this? Do I need to dump water and refill?

Free,

You will be very hard pressed to find very many Saltwater pool owners who would go back to using just chlorine.

I assume you know that a Saltwater pool is a chlorine pool?? The salt in the pool water is converted to chlorine by a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG)

If I had to build another pool today, it would be a saltwater pool.

So, tell us why you are asking the question? Is there something you don't like about saltwater pools?

How do you sanitize the pool you now have?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

So, tell us why you are asking the question? Is there something you don't like about saltwater pools?

How do you sanitize the pool you now have?

Yes, I understand that a Salt Pool ultimately "is" a Chlorine pool.

I own Chlorine pool today.. And follow the TFP methods.
I thought I had heard negatives of SWG.. maybe that it was corrosive?.. I am simply naive to it..

Salt is easier to maintain, which is the whole point of a salt water pool.

A salt water pool is chlorinated, just like a chlorine pool. The difference is where the chlorine comes from.

In a chlorine pool, the chlorine comes from you driving to the store, buying chlorine every week, and dumping it into the pool.

In a salt water pool, the chlorine comes from a magic box (essentially), that splits salt molecules...NaCl (sodium chloride) to sodium (Na) and...chlorine (Cl) . When the chlorine dissipates, it rejoins the sodium as NaCl, ready to be broken down into chlorine by that magic box all over again...in an endless cycle of magic chlorine generation.

Essentially, a salt water pool self-generates chlorine to self-chlorinate itself, eliminating one of the most burdensome aspects of pool ownership.

If you have not swam in a salt pool before, don't think of ocean water. A salt pool has a much lower concentration of salt, which is undetectable to most people.

Total cost of ownership is about the same. Every few years you will need to replace the magic box thing, which is priced similar to the price of the chlorine it can generate in it's useful life...so it is similar cost in the long run, but a properly adjusted salt pool is a lot less work to maintain.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Free,

Well, then I would suggest you check out the pool at the new house and see what it looks like. If it looks ok, and it has been a Salt pool for a while, it should put your mind at ease.

"Salt" often gets blamed for everything and anything that can go wrong with a pool. Very rarely is it the actual cause of any failures or problems.

My wife and I like the feel of saltwater and I love the ease of maintenance. Last year we went on vacation for 21 days and the pool took care of itself and was still crystal clear when we got back.

Jim R.

One other thing to note is that the pool you are chlorinating with bleach today has salt in it. It is a by-product of using bleach. Over time, bleachers can end up with several thousand PPM of salt in their pools with no ill effects. So you likely already have a salt pool to some degree but just aren't using that salt to generate chlorine. A cheap salt test strip will give you some idea of how much salt you have in your current pool for reference. These strips are not very accurate but just to give you some idea.

We have a SWCG and love it. No ill effects after 4 years. You'd have to take the SWCG out of our pool over my dead body!

I have a salt pool and absolutely love it. I don't have to add Chlorine unless it's at start up, or for some reason my SWG hasn't been running enough. Usually I test the Chlorine everyday with test strips and do a detailed full range of tests about twice a week with my TF-100. Adjust SWG run time from there and it truly is a trouble free pool.
Also. the salt in the water makes it feel softer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.