Calcium for a Vinyl liner?

mcmeekin

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2007
SC
Being the nerd that I am, I read all the papers I'm given.
The liner was installed on our new pool build yesterday. It is filling as I type.

I was stunned :sad: to read this on the back of the liner warranty registration
form: "proper water balance... calcium hardness: 200 ppm minimum"

This is contrary to all I've leaned here about BBB and Water balance ... or did I miss something?

Was the liner mfr "pool stored"? Why would the maker of the liner recommend calcium?

I've attached a scan for proof :!:
<a>
104.jpg
</a>

I may be wrong but the BBB method doesn't have anything to do with calcium, BBB is sanitation / PH
Even using BBB method you will still need to add certain chemicals to your pool i.e. Calcium, Metal Sequesterant, Stabilizer, etc.
The calcium prevents your liner from becoming brittle I believe.

Mike

Always follow your vinyl pool warranty recommendations, at least regarding calcium hardness, so that you do not have an issue during the warranty period (i.e. they don't have an excuse to say they won't replace your liner in case something happens during the warranty period). We do not believe calcium is needed for vinyl, but don't have scientific proof for it one way or the other. We KNOW calcium carbonate saturation is required for plaster/gunite/grout.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.