Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine OR Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine OR Bleach

Last year I stopped using pool-store chlorine tabs and switched over to the BBB Method. I was pouring bleach directly into the pool. After ruining two pairs of shoes (bleach splash-up), I decided to get a Stenner Pump. I had intended to fill the Stenner tank with 8.25% Bleach, but would Liquid Chlorine be a better alternative?

Also, if I used Liquid Chlorine then changed my mind, would it be dangerous to pour bleach into a tank that had been used with Chlorine?
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner
    Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater,
    Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection)
    2 skimmers, 2 returns, main drain, Lamotte ColorQ and TF-100 test kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine OR Bleach

Tom,

Other than the percentage, Bleach is Liquid Chlorine.. Around here Bleach is normally 8.25% and Liquid Chlorine is 12%

They are the same chemical, so mixing them is not an issue.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

So then the LQ is a whole different animal than the chlorine tabs. Because I remember someone cautioning me against pouring bleach into the chlorinator.
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner
    Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater,
    Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection)
    2 skimmers, 2 returns, main drain, Lamotte ColorQ and TF-100 test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Tom,

By "chlorinator" if you mean the 3" Tablet feeder, then you do not want to put Liquid Bleach or Liquid Chlorine into them. They are made for tablets, not liquids..

You generally pour any liquid directly into the pool, usually in front of a running pool return..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you already have the stenner pump, you can definitely use any strength of liquid chlorine (either bleach or higher concentration liquid); you'll just have to adjust the injection time as needed (for example, if you use 12.5% chlorine, you'd inject for 66% of the time you do for 8.25%.

However, the comment about ruined shoes leads to the comment Jim mentions above -- you generally don't need to walk around the pool splashing liquids (chlorine, acid, or anything else) all around. We recommend getting down in front of a return, putting the jug down almost partly in the water, and pouring slowly in front of the return stream. Should eliminate any splashing or spilling and distributes better that way too.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Also, if using bleach, do not buy the no-splash or scented.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.