Diamond Brite Replaster start-up questions

BBass

Mar 6, 2017
Denham Springs
Thanks in advance for any help. I just had my pool replastered with Diamond Brite Bahama Breeze. I have added 5 1/2 gallons of muriatic acid so far and 50 lbs. of calcium. I have been working chlorine up slowly and brushing everyday. I have heard to use stainless steel brush, but I have only been using nylon(stainless steel scares me). Should I only add acid now to keep ph in balance? Hardness is running around 250 now. Total chlorine running about 1.3. It has been about 3 weeks since it was done. Has it been long enough to use a Dolphin vac or should I buy an old school vac with the bristles for now? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Here is what SGM, makers of Diamond Brite, say about start up.
http://www.sgm.cc/html_Pool/HomeOwners/startup-waterchemistry.html

Don't forget to register for your warranty
http://sgm.smod.us/smodMain.php?sys=pub&pub=wif2

Post a set of test results and what test kit you are using so we can better advise on your pH, TA, etc.

If you aren't kicking up plaster dust anymore you can back off on the brushing. No need to use a stainless steel brush unless you are trying to solve a problem.

I just have the Pentair test kit, and have been taking to local pool store every few days. Ph is running 7.8 to 7.9. Alkalinity is 130 ppm. Hardness is 250 ppm. Total and free chlorine is 1.3 ppm. Is there a kit that you recommend? Thanks for the help.

Yes, I use the TF-100 and I buy mine from TFTestkits.net. I've been using it for many years and it is great.

Is it the Pentair drop based test kit? It isn't terrible. If they are test strips then they are terrible. Many pool store tests aren't a lot better because of poorly trained kids, poor clean up, poor mixing, not paying attention, poor lighting, etc.

Your TA is on the high side which will tend to push your pH up along with the new plaster which will also push ypu pH up. Test PH often and keep title at 7.6 to 7.8. When pH hits 8.0 lower it to7.6 with muriatic acid. This will also slowly lower your TA. Your TA will eventually settle out somewhere between 60 and 80 and your pH will rise more slowly as the TA falls.

You can lower TA faster following this method if you want to, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Do some reading in Pool School
Start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
And then here, Pool School - Getting Started

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.