Replacement options for Jandy AquaPure 1400 - move to Jandy TruClear or others?

Feb 1, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi,

I have a 12,000 gallon in-ground pool in Austin Texas (lots of mineral in water) that was originally installed with a JandyAquaPure 1400 SWG. When it’s working it seems to work well but in ten years I’ve had to replace the control board once, the flow sensor at least twice, and I’m coming up on a third replacement of the actual cell. At $500+ just for the cell, this seems excessive so I’m looking for a better solution. Or is this just the comparative cost of spending money on chlorine?

I also recently changed to a PentAir Intelliflo VS pump, so it would be nice to have a SWG that supported low flow.

I was looking at the Jandy TruClear but am having trouble finding reviews/feedback. I’m certainly open to other brands.

Thanks!

For 10 years of use I would say that is not excessive for the most part.

Cells should last 3-5 years each so it looks like you have had normal wear from the cells. Depending on the balance of the water and how often the cell is cleaned could quickly shorten that time frame.

The sensor design has been updated and is much more reliable now. Make sure you have the latest design which supports a lower flow amount down to 20GPM.

We haven't had much feedback on the TruClear.

Before I learned about the improvements Jandy has made with the AquaPure I switched from the AquaPure to the Hayward AquaRite almost two years ago due to similar issues with sensor issues and cell life.

Without automation I would choose either Hayward or Jandy, just make sure you know the warranty terms for which unit you get. Some manufacturers have a very short warranty for self-installs.

I've been wondering the same thing lately. At 3 years and 1 month my cell died, was able to get it covered through warranty. Flow sensor just died, $240 seems to be the running price. Pools is coming up on 4yrs old in May.

Ping, can you please elaborate on:
-- "depending on...how often the cell is cleaned could shorten life" - are you saying that cleaning decreases life? or that not cleaning regularly decreases life?
-- "without automation i would choose Hayward or Jandy" - without automation, upkeep is a wash?

I like SWG's because of the water "feel" and very low chlorine smell. My daughters hair doesn't turn green, suits aren't fading as fast. They're definitely not cheaper to upkeep.

Each time a cell is cleaned with acid, the acid removes some of the plating on the plates and thus reduces the lifespan of the cell. If the plates are coated with calcium the cell does need to be cleaned. Keeping the water balanced and having the CSI a bit negative will prevent most scale from forming inside the cell.

If a pool has automation, I would get the same brand of SWG as the automation so that you will get all the functions out of the SWG and automation system.

If the pool doesn't have automation, then the Hayward or Jandy units have everything built in to them so they are easy to adjust and troubleshoot. The Hayward AquaRite is the easiest system to troubleshoot overall and a lot of pool stores have test stands to determine if a cell is good or bad.

Great feedback Ping! I admit I am sometimes lax at keeping the pool balanced. The scale seems to form pretty quickly (1-2 months) but I always thought it was just due to the mineral content in the water but there's been minimal city water added to the pool since filling 10 years ago.

"sensor design" - I'll research this but is there a quick way to check what is the latest sensor design? I think i've replaced ours at least twice.

I could definitely see value in having a SWG like Hayward that has test stands for the cell. Jandy's error codes have always been somewhat cryptic and seem more directed to having you hire a professional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.