Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover Motor

My motor went out last fall. Thank goodness the pool was already closed for the winter. The cover is currently completely extended out in the closed position. I've had 2 companies tell me not to try to install the pool cover motor by myself because it's not just a simple motor swap, you have to adjust the ropes and other stuff(??). BUT, these 2 companies are in a pretty fierce competition with each other and do price gouge in my opinion, they are the only 2 around my area. However, from what I see on youtube and reading forums such as this one, it looks to be a simple swap!! The replacement motor for my cover is a little over $1,000.00 but they are charging an extra $1,500.00 to put it in. I am very mechanical, but I'd like for someone to confirm that this simply is a motor swap. Seems to me that as long as the shafts are lined up, it should be easy since the cover is all the way closed, but I don't want to get halfway into this and find out differently. lol

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
    16K well-water IG fiberglass pool, sand filter, variable speed pump, TFTestkit/TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover Motor

What model cover do you have?

If it's a Coverstar or similar, and it's just the motor, then replacing the motor is very simple. Just be careful not to drop the bottom half of the coupling block.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave, yes it is a Coverstar. I know I have power to the open/close switch and also out at the motor but I didn't test the actual motor. Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.
    16K well-water IG fiberglass pool, sand filter, variable speed pump, TFTestkit/TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd test the motor extensively before I bought a new one. But if you do find it bad, they are easy to replace.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Circling back around on this one for advice, (Thanks for your reply Bama Rambler),
    I haven't bought the replacement motor yet. I did take the housing apart and the pool guys were right, there is a lot of slack rope just laying around in the box. The cover is all the way extended too, so I wouldn't think there would be this much slack. This makes me somewhat questioning if I want to try this myself. I assume this slack in the ropes just need wrapped around the pulleys until tight before I actually install and run the new motor (when I buy it)? Thank you