Hayward Super Pump versus VS pump

Hi,
Our Hayward Super Pump 1HP motor died last fall so it's time for a new one.

Our local pool company quoted us a motor replacement and also a variable speed motor replacement (Jandy FloPro VS Pump w/JEP). The VS is three times the price. I know we will recoup the money over time but I just don't know how soon. We will be selling our home in 3 years due to a military move, so I am wondering if we would recoup it before then. I've looked at all the calculators but I'm still having problems figuring it out (sorry- we are new pool owners).

We have a 20,000 gallon pool, run it 6 months out of the year, and last year we ran the motor 24/7 due to it being in a high debris area.

Any help/advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

There's a lot of variables but how much you pay for electricity is the biggest one that would be helpful for us to know, as well as if you plan on running 24/7 (when it's open) in the next few years before you move as well.

Typically, running 24/7 is not necessary. Many people can get by with much less.

Running a single speed pump 24/7 uses a lot of energy. Assuming 1,000 watts, you will use 24 kilowatt-hours per day. At $0.10 / kwh, you will pay $2.40 per day and $432.00 for 6 months. That's $1,296.00 over three years.

A variable speed pump can be run closer to 200 watts. That's 4.8 kwh per day or $0.48 per day, $86.40 per season and $259.20 over 3 years.

The variable speed pump will cost $1,037 less to run and will be quieter.

You could run the single speed at 8 hours per day and pay only 1/3 of the cost of 24/7 if that would suit your needs.

You could drop down to a 2605C impeller and a 3/4 total hp motor to use less power. Probably still be at least 800 to 900 watts.

You could go to a two speed motor, but they cost a lot more than a single speed motor. They can include a switch.

The costs for running the variable speed pump assume that a lower speed will do what you want.

Also, contact your utility to inquire about available rebates on variable speed pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.