Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Energy Efficient upgrade available?

1. Back To Top    #1

Energy Efficient upgrade available?

Have this pump/motor unit for my inground pool spa combo. Wondering if there is an energy efficient upgrade available? Variable speed etc. not even sure what I have... thank you! Looking to shave the PG&E bill!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Energy Efficient upgrade available?

It depends on how much you are will to spend up front. From cheapest to most expensive options:

1) Reduce run time. If your bill is that high, you are likely running the pump too long. You could probably reduce run time quite a bit. Currently, I am running only 2 hours per day. This costs nothing up front and will save considerably on your power costs depending on your current run time.

2) You could replace the motor on your current pump with a two speed. Low speed saves about 75% in energy costs but it will cost you several hundred dollars.

3) Replace the entire pump will a VS pump. Many power companies offer rebates that could lower the upfront costs (~$800) to make it competitive with a motor upgrade. Long term the VS will save the most in energy costs but usually costs the most up front.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm open to any options and preferably one that will save me the most money... Happen to know preferable model or what's compatible or what I should be looking for? Variable speed pump sounds like best option

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you currently have have an electronic controller or a pump brand preference?

Here a two options:

Pentair Intelliflo VS

Hayward EcoStar VS

Because of the spa, I would stick with one of the larger VS pumps.

Also, if you don't already have surge protection installed, you will need to do that as well.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Ya I have aqualogic I think maybe prologic.. would the Hayward ecostar vs work? Is one better than the other?

6. Back To Top    #6

EcoStar should work for you. Aqua Logic, Pro Logic and Aqua Plus require main software revision 2.65 or higher.

Go to diagnostics to see what main software revision you have.

If you don't have at least 2.65, you can use relays to control the pump.

The model number of your automation is printed on the inside of the door to the automation.

Also, check for rebates from your utility.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.