NEW build in PA !!

Sep 5, 2016
New tripoli, PA
Hey all, i'm new here and the dig will start end of March on my pool here in Pennsylvania. Is there any basic rules to follow for pools in colder climates like PA? or the northeast in general? I

i'm doing an 800sqft Saltwater IG and my contract includes choice of SGM River Rok or SGM Diamond Brite, so i'm looking for some opinions of either of these. I like the darker colors but i'm concerned about fading of those colors.

My pool is going into a pretty big hill so a lot will be done there with boulders to hold back the hill, but also will make for an easy waterfall coming down.

My builder deals mostly with Jandy, so i'm pretty sure i'll be doing all Jandy equipment. Has anyone used their automation system iAqualink or iAqualink 2.0 ? I'm assuming its capable of controlling everything with the pool.

I'm leaning towards stamped concrete. Is there any issue with that in my climate or with using a SWG ?? i'm open to pavers or stone if they have big advantages in my climate.

What are your favorite 3 upgrades you've done to your pool that are unique and why?

I'm sure there will be more questions along the way. thanks for any guidance and opinions you may provide !

This is where it's going......

335f09f2532b65bedec8f73a6affba65.jpg
b7b440272414a7d6573200e9d4d9cb95.jpg

a880542c7bb4041da23a5fa64e8d5e90.jpg
26d665111fc51e3991529e53aa75c68a.jpg
3af7846b406f9e94ae376558582e0de7.jpg

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River f Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

What a pretty house and property!

I can tell you have been reading LOL because of all of the pictures! THANKS!

You are REALLY going to have to look at how to control water coming from the side and back of the property to the pool and house. I see some major deck drains going in.

You will need quite a few returns to help move the water around those bends and curves. Do you have a design drawn up yet?

Kim:kim:

I'm from Ohio so similar conditions. From my understanding anything north of Cincinnati requires a liner vs. concrete due to the deep freeze conditions we get. Aside from general pool stuff, I installed a solar heater and a chlorine injection pump. My only regret was going with a small 7 gallon tank, wish I would have went with something bigger so I wouldn't need to refill every week :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm from Ohio so similar conditions. From my understanding anything north of Cincinnati requires a liner vs. concrete due to the deep freeze conditions we get. Aside from general pool stuff, I installed a solar heater and a chlorine injection pump. My only regret was going with a small 7 gallon tank, wish I would have went with something bigger so I wouldn't need to refill every week :)

Im hoping this is just some sort of speculation!!!! Im in the exact area as the OP and Ive not even considered a liner instead of concrete, but if I need to now is the time to know that. Can someone explain to me how a liner would perform better than concrete in a freeze/thaw area? Arent houses built on concrete in freeze thaw areas?

A165fun- Im also interested in hearing about your plans around deck drains as I may need to copy a lot of what you do!

Im hoping this is just some sort of speculation!!!! Im in the exact area as the OP and Ive not even considered a liner instead of concrete, but if I need to now is the time to know that. Can someone explain to me how a liner would perform better than concrete in a freeze/thaw area? Arent houses built on concrete in freeze thaw areas?

A165fun- Im also interested in hearing about your plans around deck drains as I may need to copy a lot of what you do!

I have never heard of this. We are in NH and have plenty of concrete pools here and they are only open from June-August because its cold the rest of the time. I am not sure where he got that info from.

A few builders in our area only do concrete and are very reputable so I'm not concerned.

Water flowing down that big hill is definitely an issue. I told the builder this is a major concern. He seems to be confident in handling it. I'll learn more about how they will do this as things move forward.

I'll have the drawing from the builder to post shortly.

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

You're going to need to continue that drainage swale that comes around the corner of your house toward the pool location. It will have to be deep and wide enough to pick up surface flows coming off that hill as well. It will need to skirt the edge of the pool and drain towards the downhill side. Your pool design has lots of perimeter feet vs usable area. Price is usually tied to perimeter feet so you're paying a premium in addition to all the grading you'll have to do.

OOPS. I just realized you're putting your pool right in the middle of that drainage swale. Probably not a good idea.

Last year Temps here got down in the -20's. So it may be different my my part of the country. If you have a concrete pool, you have to drain it seasonally. Our city pool is concrete and that's what they do to avoid damage.

You're going to need to continue that drainage swale that comes around the corner of your house toward the pool location. It will have to be deep and wide enough to pick up surface flows coming off that hill as well. It will need to skirt the edge of the pool and drain towards the downhill side. Your pool design has lots of perimeter feet vs usable area. Price is usually tied to perimeter feet so you're paying a premium in addition to all the grading you'll have to do.

OOPS. I just realized you're putting your pool right in the middle of that drainage swale. Probably not a good idea.

Thanks for the input. I believe their strategy is to put 2 swails further up the hill so water doesn't run down that steep slope. And run drainage pipe under the surface to carry water from the back and side past the pool location. I would love to hear from others who built on a hill.

I really don't want to use up my only flat yard space which is why it's going there. Also my drawing exaggerates the curves. Will post actual drawing soon

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We built on a slope. Reading through our build thread (link in my signature) will let you know how it was handled. Sounds like your PB has the drainage issue at the forefront and is addressing it on the large scale I would expect for this particular project.

We already used up our limited flat space for a basketball court (unbelievably good investment given the hours of use over the years - and multipurpose nature of the area). So I can relate to wanting or needing to build on a sloped area.

Concrete pools get built in all locations of the US, though I do believe the % of liner pools increases as you go north. I believe that is in part because of the specialty trades involved and them not being as available, which leads to higher costs for concrete vs. vinyl. I've never heard discussions on here of draining northern pools for winter. I'm not discounting the practice but am not familiar with it.

Thanks for the input. I believe their strategy is to put 2 swails further up the hill so water doesn't run down that steep slope. And run drainage pipe under the surface to carry water from the back and side past the pool location. I would love to hear from others who built on a hill.

I really don't want to use up my only flat yard space which is why it's going there. Also my drawing exaggerates the curves. Will post actual drawing soon

You're going to need some retaining walls. You can't cut a swale in a hillside. Look at the drop from the corner of your house to the timbers around your patio. That looks to be a three foot drop right there. You could put a catch basin up on the side of the house and pipe out to daylight, but the drainage and retaining wall spend is going to be half as much as you're spending on the pool.

The most cost effective thing is to bench back into that hill (were the overgrown area is) and terrace (stair step) that embankment allowing the natural flows to continue AROUND your pool site. Catch basins and pipe aren't a cheap solution.

Our slope related expenses were roughly 30% of our pool/deck only costs (less the autocover). Wall and turned down concrete $18K; pool/deck costs less cover $63K. This work did not really include much grand water redirection. Mostly a retaining wall with proper stone and drainage behind it, and concrete decking turned down on the lower side of the pool because otherwise it would want to settle. Your totals could vary widely, but I'd expect 50% would be a 90th percentile number for those types of expenses.

You're going to need some retaining walls. You can't cut a swale in a hillside. Look at the drop from the corner of your house to the timbers around your patio. That looks to be a three foot drop right there. You could put a catch basin up on the side of the house and pipe out to daylight, but the drainage and retaining wall spend is going to be half as much as you're spending on the pool.

The most cost effective thing is to bench back into that hill (were the overgrown area is) and terrace (stair step) that embankment allowing the natural flows to continue AROUND your pool site. Catch basins and pipe aren't a cheap solution.

You lost me with some of the lingo there. But you're right, it's not cheap. Handling the hill, and all the boulder work is coming to about 35% of my total project cost.

My builder has done these hill projects in the past (pics below). These are MUCH more dramatic than mine will be, but gives an idea of how the hill might play out....I HOPE!
ea5def6b77effd6b902a6a92147ac1cb.jpg

23ce1cc21fed5b054d1b8c812b827341.jpg

ec57748eb873a2f3bd5d09df6e196b54.jpg

087d03cae745ac5f7a6ad8af183222e8.jpg

Here is the first rough drawing. The deep end is to the right of spa. No diving board, just a jump rock. Brainstorming about where else I can move that sun shelf to so I get more of a shallow end

OH I LOVE that!!!!!

Lets talk about a couple of things though.

Jumping rock-check with your insurance to make sure it is okay just to be on the safe side please.

Deep end is how deep? You and I both know someone (me :slidehalo:) will try to jump from the spa side into the deep end. Well they might jump into any depth of water come to think of it LOL

Kim:kim:

Good idea! Definitely gotta check with insurance!

I was thinking 7 or 7.5ft for deep end. I would go deeper but I was told the deeper I go, the more usable shallow end I'll lose. Do you think 7 or 7.5 is safe for jump rock? Obviously we would discourage anything head first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.