Suggestions for new indoor deck

Hey ya'll. We recently bought a house with a large indoor pool (pics). The deck is blue indoor-outdoor carpet and although it's in pretty good shape and was well applied, it takes a couple of days to fully dry out after a big party and smells a little like a wet dog.

The trouble part though is the bullnose. It is an aluminum piece that in integrated into the poured concrete deck and it is part of the mechanism that holds the liner. From all that, it seems as if this pool was meant to have indoor-outdoor carpet from day one.

We could resurface the concrete or do trowel down rubber but how would we handle this aluminum bullnose? And, does the trowel down rubber drain well?

We had a local pool guy look at it and he suggested using a grinder to square off the aluminum bullnose piece (would not affect the liner attachment) and then tile (and wrap the tile over the cut off bullnose. He seemed very comfortable with that idea and said he has done it before. If we used thin concrete pavers (1") or calibrated stone (3/4"-1") he suggested using a router to round over the edge.

Here are pics and details. Thanks in advance for the help.

Varsity 7 Pool.jpgVarsity 6 Pool.jpg
Details: 1998 purpose built 1800 sf building with 45,000 galloon pool and 850 sf deck. Hayward Aquarite SWG. Slide has been removed.

I bet you bought that for the pool room! That is NICE!

That is a shame the slide was removed :( I bet it was fun to go down!

Can you share a couple of close up pics of where the carpet meets the coping? That will give us a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Kim:kim:

Thanks guys. Yes we bought it for the pool but the house is pretty nice too. The pool just needs a little updating. As for the slide, there is a company that sells water slide components from decommissioned water park slides. We have the height and the deck space so I just need to get some measurements to them and they make a couple of design suggestions.

I will get a close up of the coping and post it later today.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I found this place.

Thanks Rollercoastr. The house is older than the pool but we nearly gutted it when we got possession in August. It looks like it was built in the last 5 years. The pool is a little stuck in the '90s so we're just trying to bring it to the present (starting with the deck. Then the patio doors. Then the walls. Then the bar. But after that...we're done.)

- - - Updated - - -

HELP! The pool images above are too big so I don't have storage space to add the photos of the bullnose coping. Advise pls

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.