Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions for new indoor deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions for new indoor deck

Hey ya'll. We recently bought a house with a large indoor pool (pics). The deck is blue indoor-outdoor carpet and although it's in pretty good shape and was well applied, it takes a couple of days to fully dry out after a big party and smells a little like a wet dog.

The trouble part though is the bullnose. It is an aluminum piece that in integrated into the poured concrete deck and it is part of the mechanism that holds the liner. From all that, it seems as if this pool was meant to have indoor-outdoor carpet from day one.

We could resurface the concrete or do trowel down rubber but how would we handle this aluminum bullnose? And, does the trowel down rubber drain well?

We had a local pool guy look at it and he suggested using a grinder to square off the aluminum bullnose piece (would not affect the liner attachment) and then tile (and wrap the tile over the cut off bullnose. He seemed very comfortable with that idea and said he has done it before. If we used thin concrete pavers (1") or calibrated stone (3/4"-1") he suggested using a router to round over the edge.

Here are pics and details. Thanks in advance for the help.

Varsity 7 Pool.jpgVarsity 6 Pool.jpg
    Details: 1998 purpose built 1800 sf building with 45,000 galloon pool and 850 sf deck. Hayward Aquarite SWG. Slide has been removed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions for new indoor deck

I bet you bought that for the pool room! That is NICE!

That is a shame the slide was removed I bet it was fun to go down!

Can you share a couple of close up pics of where the carpet meets the coping? That will give us a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool! I like it!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Yes we bought it for the pool but the house is pretty nice too. The pool just needs a little updating. As for the slide, there is a company that sells water slide components from decommissioned water park slides. We have the height and the deck space so I just need to get some measurements to them and they make a couple of design suggestions.

I will get a close up of the coping and post it later today.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I found this place.
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    45,000 gallon indoor pool in 1800 sf building with 850 sf deck
    Hayward Aquarite SWG 40,000 gallon, Hayward C4030 Swimclear filter, Hayward Tristar 3/4 hp pump, Jandy Lite2 NG Pool heater
    Dicks Sporting Goods Loch Ness Monster floatie

5. Back To Top    #5

Very cool pool. Is the house the same age as the pool? Is the pool bldg attached to the house or is it a separate structure?
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Rollercoastr. The house is older than the pool but we nearly gutted it when we got possession in August. It looks like it was built in the last 5 years. The pool is a little stuck in the '90s so we're just trying to bring it to the present (starting with the deck. Then the patio doors. Then the walls. Then the bar. But after that...we're done.)

- - - Updated - - -

HELP! The pool images above are too big so I don't have storage space to add the photos of the bullnose coping. Advise pls
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    45,000 gallon indoor pool in 1800 sf building with 850 sf deck
    Hayward Aquarite SWG 40,000 gallon, Hayward C4030 Swimclear filter, Hayward Tristar 3/4 hp pump, Jandy Lite2 NG Pool heater
    Dicks Sporting Goods Loch Ness Monster floatie

7. Back To Top    #7

Bobo, You can become a supporting member (see link at the top of this page). That will get you more photo storage using the new Photo Gallery that is SO easy to use. You will also get a discount on the test kit AND at Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Safety Cover, Swimming Pool Covers, Swimming Pool Pumps, Pool Pump Parts - INYOPools.com
    ! TFP gets to keep our lights on for a while longer LOL

You can use photo bucket or such using the IMG code as well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit