Pool size thoughts?

smanni

Oct 20, 2012
Wildwood Crest NJ
We are looking to make a final PB decision in the next 2 weeks and move forward. The 3 we are looking at are very different in terms of price per Sq ft above a "standard" Sq footage starting point. I am seeing 54 -65.sq ft.

We originally wants a larger pool that we are looking at. We wanted about 1100 sq ft with about 90 being a sunshelf. We have 3 kids (8,7,7) that are all water rats....and a pretty large family. We expect a lot of parties, friends, cousins, etc.

We landed on a True "L" shaped pool for the benefits of a very usable "sports and play area" in the shallow end and still having a deep end for fun. Although it is a True L, it doesn't look like one because the sunshelf extruding from the pool breaks it up and looks nice (at least - I think it does)

With cutting some size out to save on price - we are currently looking at:

Deep end is 16W x 20 going from 4.5 - 8.5 and the Shallow end is 19W by 30 long and goes from 3, quickly to 3.5 then transitions to 4.5 for much of the shallow side then eventually breaks to the deep spot. Strange numbers, I know...lol. The sunshelf is 9 W by 7 deep and is off the shallowest end of the pool.

Total is 953 including the sunshelf and the actual pool itself 890 without the shelf (we are not having the sunshelf encroach into the pool - its an offshoot.

Seems pretty big....but I keep kicking myself in the butt about whether to extend it a few feet on the shallow length and deep end width before I regret it....

We are also looking at ways to reduce some of the stamped concrete deck a little....we are at about 1600, but really 450 of that is under a covered porch and not really directly at the pool....Although it isnt that far either....

Decisions, decisions....

What are the groups thoughts on pool size where lots of crazy playing is very likely.....

Most will reply that your proposed size is huge, and it is by most metrics. Our pool is considered a "larger" pool being a 18' x 38' rectangle (so 684 SF and 27K gallons since it has a deep end). We've had parties with 20+ people in. You know they are there but they are not touching you (unless you want them to be). Can't imagine you would feel the pool is too small with your proposed dimensions. It would be nice though to see a diagram with your sizes noted.

Did the math. Your 890 pool is 30% larger than my 684. If that's too small, you have mighty big personal space issues! :D AND you have a sunshelf which will be populated by some folks.

The max number of people in a pool during a party seems to only be for a short period of time.

Here is what Im referring to - but before you make fun of the drawing..this is NOT from a professional, and I have 5 versions of this with different design ideas......) This is not the PB drawing or idea - it is mine. Im sure that theirs will be better and more details. Im trying to get much of it figured out. The decking along the pool leads to a 12' x 38' covered porch of a 24' by 38' pool house. The poolhouse is being constructed, roofed, sided, rough plumbed and left unfinished for a future budget! The 12' porch will have an outdoor kitchen (future budget and as drawn) and hot tub (as drawn). POOL 3A.jpg

Much of that is leading us to the 5 different options on the pool size/shape.

I want the ribbon of stone around the outside perimeter where the fence is as we do not want to weed wack the fence.....and the large area of stone is an area to display some pretty cool artifacts from shipwrecks (large anchor, etc).

You did good with the drawing BUT can you write the numbers darker. The lines show up good but the numbers are too light to read.

Also think about sharing a picture of where this will be going with a brightly colored rope to show where it will be going.

Kim:kim:

That is better! That is going to be a fun pool shape!

How far will the grass be from the pool? That could be a maintenance nightmare come mowing time. Something to think about.

I think the size is purrfect especially if you think someone will want to swim laps. They will get a good work out there!

That is better! That is going to be a fun pool shape!

How far will the grass be from the pool? That could be a maintenance nightmare come mowing time. Something to think about.

I think the size is purrfect especially if you think someone will want to swim laps. They will get a good work out there!

Agreed 100% about the grass. My original drawing had absolutely no grass in the entire fenced in area...for that very reason. Now it is 3' on the one side and 6' on the other. We placed in on the sides that will likely be used much less....but Im not sure I like it. With 1600 sq ft of stamped concrete already in the plan.....I dont want any more so grass was suddenly "acceptable"....lol

LOL that is until you go to mow it and someone has to get it out asap! I am here to tell you there is NO way to keep it out. Well if it were "fake" grass you would be safe! That is something to think about. I have seen some builds with it and it looked great!

WOW! That's a monster sized pool! I love, love, love that you included a deep end. Too many folks think "nah, my kids are tots, they won't use it" and lo and behond they grow and want to DIVE!! So good job there!

Looks like a great pool. Really. Have you considered how you will sanitize the water? Any other plans made yet that way? We can help you with any other decisions, and Kim :kim: is renowned for her abilities to help you spend your money, LOL!

We're gonna need lots and lots of pictures too during construction, 'k?

Yippee :flower:

OK. Here is where we stand. We eliminated one of the 3 PB we were down to last week.....and for the record he was BY FAR the least expensive. That narrowed it down to 2. Both are great. One is probably the best in our area and most expensive. I wanted to understand all of the costs so I added a few wish list items to the quote and met with him. He is away now - but we plan on signing with him as soon as he returns. The number 2 guy...although a friend of a friend...and a great pool builder, ended up getting frustrated with the amount of research I was doing....and wanted me to "trust" everything which isnt my style...so...even though he was less expensive - we are choosing the most expensive option.

Anyway - here is what we are going with:

Changing the pool to more of a freeform pool to maximize the space and eliminate corners - but still keeping the general L shape and Sq footage at 972 sq feet. It will be a little longer and wider at parts than it was before.

1546 Sq ft of stamped decking
Complete Pentair automation (pretty much everything), IC 60 SWG, Intellichem with 30 gallon acid tank, Sta Rite 500 sq ft cartridge filter, Sta rite 400,000 BTU heater, intelliflo svrs pump, 2 Pentair intellibrite lights and 1 globrite in the sunshelf, (3) Pentair Laminars, sacrificial zinc anode, robotic pool cleaner, pebble finish, 85' boulder retaining wall....

Im pretty excited. As soon as we sign and get the final drawing and 3d video - I will post them and start a build thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK. Here is where we stand. We eliminated one of the 3 PB we were down to last week.....and for the record he was BY FAR the lease expensive. That narrowed it down to 2. Both are great. One is probably the best in our area and most expensive. I wanted to understand all of the costs so I added a few wish list items to the quote and met with him. He is away now - but we plan on signing with him as soon as he returns. The number 2 guy...although a friend of a friend...and a great pool builder, ended up getting frustrated with the amount of research I was doing....and wanted me to just "trust" everything which isnt my style...so...even though he was less expensive - we are choosing the most expensive option.

Anyway - here is what we are going with:

Changing the pool to more of a freeform pool to maximize the space and eliminate corners - but sill keeping the general L shape and Sq footage at 972 sq feet. It will be a little longer and wider at parts than it was before.

1546 Sq ft of stamped decking
Complete Pentair automation (pretty much everything), IC 60 SWG, Intellichem with 30 gallon acid tank, Sta Rite 500 sq ft cartridge filter, Sta rite 400,000 BTU heater, intelliflo svrs pump, 2 Pentair intellibrite lights and 1 globrite in the sunshelf, (3) Pentair Laminars, sacrificial zinc anode, robotic pool cleaner, pebble finish, 85' boulder retaining wall....

Im pretty excited. As soon as we sign and get the final drawing and 3d video - I will post them and start a build thread.

Sounds great! We might be on the same timeline. I think you made the right choice

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Update - Signed contract and left a deposit!!! We are very excited for the pool and pool house. In the end we went with Monogram custom pools. The owner is on this forum from time to time and some of you know him. Monogram builds a pool the way we want it built and they are an expert in automated systems which is very important to us!! I had a few other competitors offer additional price reductions but in the end my wife and I decided that with such a big project, we wanted to go with the company that we feel is best suited for the type of pool we want! The funny thing is that I had heard of Monogram but wasnt planning on looking at them (for no specific reason) until a forum member PM'd me and recommended that I consider them based on his experience locally. I figured "why not" and now several weeks later - We are going with them! Thank you TFP.

I plan on updating my signature and starting a build thread soon (after permits, etc). Im doing a few pretty cool additions in the pool area also and although some of them are for phase 2 of the project - I cant wait until the whole thing is done (18' lighthouse/playhouse/storage area, outdoor audio, outdoor kitchen, etc).

This sounds like it is going to be amazing!!! I really loved your L shape with the sun shelf. I'm curious to see the new design.
Our PB didn't like my knowledge gained through research either.

It's going to be great, congratulations! Just my .02 on the grass. I have grass (via sod) around 3 sides of my rectangle pool right up to the coping (which I think is 14" deep). I have no issues with grass going in the pool at all (either while mowing or from feet after mowing). If you think you'll like grass know that you can always easily replace it with concrete if you later decide it's not for you (not so the other way around). Plus it's a fraction of the cost of concrete. I use a small electric bagging mower ($100) and it works great. If you use a ride on or non-bagger gas mower I'm sure it will make a mess. The air gas power mowers put out seem to shoot stuff in all directions.

26903159756_ff9faf6812_z.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.