Easy Touch Hooked up incorrectly

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So in my easy touch system, whenever i try to adjust the chlorine rate with my Intellichlor, it only allows the high speed Cleaner setting to go to 20... and every time I adjust the numbers on the Pool mode, it changes my Cleaning setting back to 0. I reached out to Pentair and they said it's a programming issue that they can work out, so hopefully I'm able to fix that. Here's what's going on...Pentair easy touch remote - YouTube

I'm pretty sure that function is mainly reserved for the use of a spa. It appears they used the same space function and just renamed it cleaner. Easytouch doesn't care about the name and still thinks you have the spa mode. They do this because a spa is such a small amount of water compared to the rest of the pool and when in spa mode water only recirculates with the spa. Having more than a couple percent on time of the intellichlor would over chlorinate the spa.

Mo,

So, tell us more... Is this a new system or was this function working before and for some reason no longer works?

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Do you want the SWCG at some specific output when the cleaner is on?

When I go to the screen you show, my system displays Pool and Spa.. I can adjust Pool from 0 to 100 and as I do the Spa setting automatically adjusts to 10% of the Pool setting unless I manually adjust it.

Have you recently reprogrammed anything lately?

I have not seen this problem before, so don't have a ready answer, but the more info you can provide the more likely someone here might be able to help..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I'm pretty sure that function is mainly reserved for the use of a spa. It appears they used the same space function and just renamed it cleaner. Easytouch doesn't care about the name and still thinks you have the spa mode. They do this because a spa is such a small amount of water compared to the rest of the pool and when in spa mode water only recirculates with the spa. Having more than a couple percent on time of the intellichlor would over chlorinate the spa.

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

Mo,

So, tell us more... Is this a new system or was this function working before and for some reason no longer works?

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Do you want the SWCG at some specific output when the cleaner is on?

When I go to the screen you show, my system displays Pool and Spa.. I can adjust Pool from 0 to 100 and as I do the Spa setting automatically adjusts to 10% of the Pool setting unless I manually adjust it.

Have you recently reprogrammed anything lately?

I have not seen this problem before, so don't have a ready answer, but the more info you can provide the more likely someone here might be able to help..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Not new, I've had the pool for about 6 years, but I never really looked into fixing it before. I want my SWG to chlorinate at the same percentage, regardless of what speed it is on. If my pump is running for 3 hours a night on high speed, i'd like to calculate that 3 hours into my SWG generation time. Usuually I'm well above 20% on my SWG for my normal filter speed.

Mo,

Maybe I just don't understand the problem, but pump speed has nothing to do with the % of output the SWCG delivers. As long as the flow switch is closed, the SWCG will produce the same amount of chlorine with the pump running at say 1,200 RPM as it does when running at 3,200 RPM. The only % change I am aware of is the difference between the Pool mode and Spa mode.

Does your EasyTouch control your SWCG directly or do you have some other Pentair device in the loop, like the IntelliChem??

Thanks, but still confused... :scratch:

Jim R.

Mo,
You inadvertently changed the label from spa to cleaner in the label menu.
MENU/SETTINGS/Circuit Names/

Spa should be 1/18. You changed the label from spa to cleaner, but not the function of that button, just what you see in the menu. You can also set function (elsewhere in the menu). Intellichlor run % will always be for POOL & SPA run times respectivly only. No % run times for cleaner, etc.
Intellichlor will run its percent whenever POOL or SPA runs. IOW, if you have the pump set to run 2 times per day and you set it to run at 20%, It will run (produce chlorine) 20% of each run time regardless whether it is a program or manually (by you) turned on at the indoor panel. So if you want it to run @ say 50% for 3 hours at night and 20% @ 3 hours during the day, you CAN'T. If you wanted to run 3 hrs at 50% in POOL mode and then 10% for 2 hrs in SPA mode, you CAN.

One % setting for all pool schedules & manual run and
one % setting for all spa schedules & manual run.

Now i'm confused...

Sorry, gets hard trying to describe things online sometimes. My easy touch can control my intellichlor swg directly. The easy touch was programmed wrong to where my high speed setting for my pool was programmed as the Spa setting. This means, that the most I can bump up my chlorine production on my Intellichlor is 20% when my pool is running at high speed. Plus, the annoying thing is whenever I change my % rate on the easy touch, the % for my high speed resets to 0. I run my pool usually between 40-60% on the Intellichlor, so this current setup means I have to run my low speed pump longer to make up for the lower generation rate for the high speed. This is not "end of the world" or anything, I'm just trying to minimize the amount of time my pump runs (high and low speed) on a day-to-day basis.

If you have a VS, and that has been selected in the pumps menu, Hi or Low is referred to in the heater settings. OR, High speed/ Low speed is strictly a label (different from High/Low), and is used to function a two speed pump. Two labels you can assign to two generic functions (aux's) for 2 separate relays to control a high and low speed (2 spd) motor, not a VS.
You can assign a VS pump speed to a label called "high speed", And you can assign a label to the Pool or Spa setting in the intellichlor % menu, but the top % will be pool and the setting under that will be spa...Always, You can make it look different, by assigning it as high speed or low speed, but will always be for setting % to pool or spa.

Clear as mud?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still would like to know if you have a pool and spa ? or just a pool only?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pool only. I spent an hour on the phone w/ Pentair and after changing some settings on the Easy Touch, and moving some wires around, I was able to correct it. So now I have the POOL setting to run the entire time I want the circulation going, and then CLEANER will run when I want the high speed to kick in, but the system will still chlorinate at my desired POOL setting.

One % setting for all pool schedules & manual run,
one % setting for all spa schedules & manual run.

Now since you have a Pool only, and what appears to be an E/T for pool and spa, you could theoretically have two different % settings to run your ic40 with for the pool. If you setup a schedule for pool, that will give you the pool % setting for the ic40.

AND...

If you setup another schedule (pump run time) for SPA, it will still turn on the pump and circulate water in the pool because the only difference is that the spa function will rotate valves between pool and spa. You don't have that, so the pump will come on and circulate water in the pool. Only problem will be that you will only be able to get 20% max output of the ic40 in the spa setting. Note: Spa mode will not turn the heater on during a schedule as long as you have the spa heat turned off in the heat menu.

You can assign a particular pump speed to a label (or aux), Pool, Spa, lights, cleaner, etc. But i think you already knew that. Just making sure.
Spa function also disables cleaner function, but since you have an infloor cleaner, you can assign the function of that aux to be "generic" instead of "master cleaner" or more importantly, "infloor"(that is for a different kind of infloor). Generic only.

The Easytouch isn't water proof, but is splash proof. I have a cleaning lady that comes once a month and she always makes sure we have a cleaner from the 99 cent store called Awesome. It worked great for cleaning up the remote case and also works good on the rubber sides of my Van's shoes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.