Pool forms types

Dec 10, 2016
Austin, TX
So, I have noticed several different types of pool forms when the shell extends above grade. (On grade is pretty consistent, so I am interested in the different options for elevated forms)

I have seen plywood used to make a straight wall. I have seen bender board used, and I have seen a steel welded wire product with fiberglass/wax paper used. There may be even more options.

Please post up pictures and pros and cons to each so that we can learn more about each technique.

I am deciding this weekend on a technique for a free form pool I am forming next week, so I would really like to learn more quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pegboard on ours. Pics in my pool thread, link in sig. page 1. It's just attached to the rebar used to support the wooded bond beam guide board at the top.

Probably whatever is cheapest and available that day. It's only purpose is to stop the gunite as it is shot, not support it. Once it is stopped, it really doesn't want to slump.

Did the form guy set the peg board or did the Gunnite guy place them?

I suspect there will be regional differences for each trade, as building a pool involves many different steps that could be done by different people. In my case, the excavator set the "elevation" for the waterline, and created the various steps in my beam wall. This was all done with 1" x 4" board, wired to rebar stakes. Then, when the gunite crew came in, the filled in the exposed side of the walls with the peg board, using the previously set 1" x 4" as the tops. Peg board seems to be well suited to this, as it's then easy to use wire to attach it to the rebar structure. But, it would be just as easy for the rebar crew to have added this, or even the excavator crew. There's usually a "reason" for steps and materials in any process, even if it's "always been done this way".

If your O/Bing the project, I'd talk to your subs and see what they are expecting from the preceding crews, and what work they will actually do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.