Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool forms types

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool forms types

So, I have noticed several different types of pool forms when the shell extends above grade. (On grade is pretty consistent, so I am interested in the different options for elevated forms)

I have seen plywood used to make a straight wall. I have seen bender board used, and I have seen a steel welded wire product with fiberglass/wax paper used. There may be even more options.

Please post up pictures and pros and cons to each so that we can learn more about each technique.

I am deciding this weekend on a technique for a free form pool I am forming next week, so I would really like to learn more quickly.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool forms types

One more thing to add..... if the product you describe is not available at a local big box store, where would you buy it from.

I am in AUSTIN TX for reference.

Thanks

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know for sure, but it seems like PBs use whatever they have handy.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

My PB used perforated Masonite. Pics in my pool thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Pegboard on ours. Pics in my pool thread, link in sig. page 1. It's just attached to the rebar used to support the wooded bond beam guide board at the top.

Probably whatever is cheapest and available that day. It's only purpose is to stop the gunite as it is shot, not support it. Once it is stopped, it really doesn't want to slump.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    My PB used perforated Masonite. .
    [QUOTE=bmoreswim;1180552]Pegboard on ours. QUOTE]

That's what was used on mine as well.

7. Back To Top    #7

[QUOTE=BeachHead;1180720]
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Pegboard on ours. QUOTE]

That's what was used on mine as well.
    Did the form guy set the peg board or did the Gunnite guy place them?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Gunite guys.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

[QUOTE=Ramdough;1180722]
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachHead View Post

Did the form guy set the peg board or did the Gunnite guy place them?
    I suspect there will be regional differences for each trade, as building a pool involves many different steps that could be done by different people. In my case, the excavator set the "elevation" for the waterline, and created the various steps in my beam wall. This was all done with 1" x 4" board, wired to rebar stakes. Then, when the gunite crew came in, the filled in the exposed side of the walls with the peg board, using the previously set 1" x 4" as the tops. Peg board seems to be well suited to this, as it's then easy to use wire to attach it to the rebar structure. But, it would be just as easy for the rebar crew to have added this, or even the excavator crew. There's usually a "reason" for steps and materials in any process, even if it's "always been done this way".

If your O/Bing the project, I'd talk to your subs and see what they are expecting from the preceding crews, and what work they will actually do.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

It's usually whatever's on the truck those days lol

steeltex pool wire, osb, plywood, sheetrock, ect. I've seen them use sheets of metal during shotcrete down in Austrailia.