Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    Hi, I have what looks to be a Century Centurion B855 pump. It's sprung a leak where indicated in the attached picture (along the meeting spot for the pump and the filter cup assembly). I haven't tried tightening or anything yet. But, suspecting I at least need to replace an o-ring or gasket, I searched Google, and came to realize it's nearly impossible to find parts for this brand/model. I'm hoping that this unit matches up somehow with a standard brand (or generic part) that's easier to find but will work. I also discovered that I might be facing a seal replacement, which I'm willing to attempt with my limited experience, but I'd want the pros to tell me that I should be considering that. When the pump is on, it shoots a steady stream out of that spot.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In ground plaster, approx 17k??, DE filter (will add more detail when it's light outside)

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    You have a Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Might be labeled as PacFab (Sanford NC) or Purex. Pentair acquired PacFab (1999) which had previously acquired Purex Pool Products and American Products.

    The motor is a replacement. Motor made August 18 2015. Pump looks like it might be from 2000. The seal plate looks like it was replaced at the last motor change.

    First, try snugging up the bolts. If that doesn’t work, try replacing the housing gasket.

    What is the filter pressure?

    There are multiple videos on YouTube that show how to replace a seal on a WhisperFlo pump. If you do replace the seal, I would recommend seal part number PS-1905 (U.S. Seal Silicon Carbide) or U.S. Seal PS-3865R Salt/Ozone. They are a much better seal than the average seal.

    http://www.ussealmfg.com/pdfs/Choose...-Spa-Pumps.pdf

    Also, unless you need a lot of flow, I would suggest replacing the impeller to a smaller size to reduce electrical costs and system stress from high pressure.
    Support the site

    Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    You have a Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Might be labeled as PacFab (Sanford NC) or Purex. Pentair acquired PacFab (1999) which had previously acquired Purex Pool Products and American Products.

    The motor is a replacement. Motor made August 18 2015. Pump looks like it might be from 2000. The seal plate looks like it was replaced at the last motor change.

    First, try snugging up the bolts. If that doesn’t work, try replacing the housing gasket.

    What is the filter pressure?

    There are multiple videos on YouTube that show how to replace a seal on a WhisperFlo pump. If you do replace the seal, I would recommend seal part number PS-1905 (U.S. Seal Silicon Carbide) or U.S. Seal PS-3865R Salt/Ozone. They are a much better seal than the average seal.

    http://www.ussealmfg.com/pdfs/Choose...-Spa-Pumps.pdf

    Also, unless you need a lot of flow, I would suggest replacing the impeller to a smaller size to reduce electrical costs and system stress from high pressure.
    First off, YOU ROCK for the information you've already provided -- and fast! Unfortunately, I'm leaving for two days, and I don't think the leak will lower the water level enough to worry about (as long as it doesn't grow), so I don't want to try tightening the bolts until I get back for fear of making it worse. That being said, just so I'm clear, if tightening doesn't work, you suggest replacing the housing gasket as a second try, correct?. What exactly is that? Do you have a link for that part too by and chance? Then, if that doesn't work, you suggest replacing the seal and impeller (a smaller one)? I looked at the seal link you provided (thanks again), but I notice they are just the seal alone. Should I purchase a kit that comes with the o-rings and such? Or, do they sell a kit that has the housing gasket, seals, o-rings, etc...? (I know I can research much of that on my own, but no need to recreate the wheel, and if you have links, then my life has instantly been made far easier.

    Some added info and another pic of the actual leak. Oh, and the pressure is currently at around 28 psi. When I looked closely at the leak in the light, I saw it was forcing out some black plastic/rubber like stuff (visible in the pic) -- my assumption is the housing gasket you mentioned? If that sounds accurate, please do point me to a link to buy one if you have one handy. So, would that repair be a lot easier than the whole seal/impeller job?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thisknight; 03-05-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: edit typos
    In ground plaster, approx 17k??, DE filter (will add more detail when it's light outside)

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    Saltwater Tune Up Kit Pentair/Purex Whisperflo - GOKIT32SALT - INYOPools.com

    I think that you have two problems. The first is a bad gasket. The second is high pressure. The gasket is easy to change. Just remove the 6 outer bolts (don't remove the 4 bolts holding the motor to the seal plate). Pull back the motor assembly and replace the gasket.

    High pressure is a combination of oversized pump and dirty filter (probably). Taking the filter apart and cleaning it should help a lot. Maybe consider replacing the impeller. You could go to a 073127 or 073128.

    Also check that all valves are set correctly to make sure that you're not blocking flow back to the pool.
    Support the site

    Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Saltwater Tune Up Kit Pentair/Purex Whisperflo - GOKIT32SALT - INYOPools.com

    I think that you have two problems. The first is a bad gasket. The second is high pressure. The gasket is easy to change. Just remove the 6 outer bolts (don't remove the 4 bolts holding the motor to the seal plate). Pull back the motor assembly and replace the gasket.

    High pressure is a combination of oversized pump and dirty filter (probably). Taking the filter apart and cleaning it should help a lot. Maybe consider replacing the impeller. You could go to a 073127 or 073128.

    Also check that all valves are set correctly to make sure that you're not blocking flow back to the pool.

    Thank you, and you're right, my filter is due for a serious cleaning. I think I'm going to try to get out of this on the cheap and just replace the gasket. Is this the part you're speaking of?

    Pentair GASKET, VOLUTE - BLACK AFTER 02-01-08 (357100) - INYOPools.com
    In ground plaster, approx 17k??, DE filter (will add more detail when it's light outside)

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    That gasket should work. Definitely need to clean the filter or the grids will get crushed.
    Support the site

    Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    That gasket should work. Definitely need to clean the filter or the grids will get crushed.
    Great. I saved a few bucks and got this:

    Pentair 357100 Black Seal Plate Gasket Replacement Pool and Spa Inground Pump Amazon.com: Pentair 357100 Black Seal Plate Gasket Replacement Pool and Spa Inground Pump: Patio, Lawn Garden

    Will be installing on Saturday and will let you know how things work out. If I can muster it, I might try to clean the filter, but this DE filter is a nightmare to put back together again....



    In ground plaster, approx 17k??, DE filter (will add more detail when it's light outside)

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    Quote Originally Posted by thisknight View Post
    Great. I saved a few bucks and got this:

    Pentair 357100 Black Seal Plate Gasket Replacement Pool and Spa Inground Pump Amazon.com: Pentair 357100 Black Seal Plate Gasket Replacement Pool and Spa Inground Pump: Patio, Lawn Garden

    Will be installing on Saturday and will let you know how things work out. If I can muster it, I might try to clean the filter, but this DE filter is a nightmare to put back together again....



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    So I managed to get this done today. Once I removed the pump, the housing gasket just sort of crumble/oozed away. Unfortunately, the o-ring that was immediately visible was also enlarged and bent out of shape. So, I had no choice but to go to Leslie's. Not surprisingly, they had the o-ring, but only as part of a package. Surprisingly, the whole package (all o-rings and gaskets -- no seals), was only $17 whereas the housing gasket I thought I'd save money on by purchasing on Amazon alone cost me $12 (and it was of course included in the Leslie's package)... Makes one wonder how many times one will shoot oneself in the foot in order to save a buck. If I'm lucky enough to get more pool advice on here, I'll just stick to what the folks here recommend.

    The good news -- no more leak!!

    The bad news -- The housing around the impeller had what appeared to be one of two (one was missing) screw or pin holding it onto the pump (see attached pic). At first glance it appeared to maybe require an Allen wrench, but closer inspection didn't pan out. The only way I could think to remove it was with some needle nose pliers, and at this point, I didn't want to leave myself stranded, so I couldn't get in there to make full use of the kit. Oh well, maybe if I get back in there to change the impeller... Does anybody know what that is? All the videos I've seen show no such thingamobobber.

    Thank you SO much @JamesW. I actually have many other issues (including a CYA reading that's off the charts), but I'll obviously keep those for new posts.

    I couldn't afford to become a full member, but I did just donate a bit through PayPal for what I see as a valuable service.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In ground plaster, approx 17k??, DE filter (will add more detail when it's light outside)

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    The diffuser set screw is #4-40 x 1-1/8”. It takes an Allen head wrench size 3/32”
    Part number 071660
    Support the site

    Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Identify equipment (and malfunction)?

    To the rescue again. Thanks. It must just be stripped to heck.
    In ground plaster, approx 17k??, DE filter (will add more detail when it's light outside)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •