Ready to Quit

Jul 6, 2015
Port Angeles WA
Hello my name is Nick. Three years ago I embarked on the pool for my two kids. Today I noticed that three elbows and two pipes all cracked due to freezing. On top of this the solar panel system we put on the barn roof moves around due to temperature changes at night and is damaging the shingles. Two of the pipes are leaking. The pool needs to be leveled. I still don't know how to determine if the configuration of piping is correct. Last year I left chlorine tablets on the bottom and it bleached the liner. Maybe I am being a baby but I really feel like quitting. It seems to never end. Does anyone know how (before I go and repair the pipe and fittings) I can determine if my configuration of pipe is good? And does anyone know how I can mount a system on the roof that can "cradle" the solar panels and allow movement? Does anyone else feel stress over their pool? It's worse than a dog. Worse than both cars. I just don't know. Sorry. Have a good day.

Oh Nick :hug: I am sorry the pool has been so hard for you. It should be a source of fun not upset. Lets take this one thing at a time:

-Please fill out your signature. Go to settings (upper right), edit signature (middle left). That will help us help you the best. Pool kind, equipment kind and models, test kit, extra details like the solar.

-Take and share a picture of your set up. That will help us see what you are working with.

-Order a test kit if you do not already have a good one. Look in my siggy for the one I like the best.

I will be waiting to hear from you.

Kim:kim:

Welcome Nick,

Just try to take it easy, and if you want a pool we can help. Lots of folks will jump in and try to help you save it. We need some pictures, and some more info, but we can show you it's really not all this bad. You came to a good place for help if you want to move forward, just let us know.

:cheers:

Two pipes leaking is a minor issue.

Was the pool installed level and shifted or bad from the get go on being level to start?

They make kits to properly install solar panels on roofs. What did you use?

Pucks bleaching out liners sitting there? Yep, will do it every time. Got a tablet feeder installed? Wanna go to liquid bleach with us?

Take a deep breath and we'll help.

Oh Nick :hug: I am sorry the pool has been so hard for you. It should be a source of fun not upset. Lets take this one thing at a time:

-Please fill out your signature. Go to settings (upper right), edit signature (middle left). That will help us help you the best. Pool kind, equipment kind and models, test kit, extra details like the solar.

-Take and share a picture of your set up. That will help us see what you are working with.

-Order a test kit if you do not already have a good one. Look in my siggy for the one I like the best.

I will be waiting to hear from you.

Hi Kim! Thank you. I have added the details to my signature. In the past I have tried to upload photos and it was very difficult. I know how important it is to follow forum rules but I just don't have the patience to try the photo post again. Would you please consider viewing my photos on my Google photo album as long as I promise when I am feeling more optimistic to try the forum photos again? Please? I have good ones and they are large and it could really be helpful. Pool - Google Photos

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Patrick.

- - - Updated - - -

The leaks are at the junctions between the pipes that join the solar panel pipes. It is challenging for me for sure. The pool was installed using some sand to gain level and we just didn't do the best job. It is not huge but I would like to correct. At one end the difference is around eight inches. We installed an inline chlorinator so I sort of solved that mistake. They were there for 32 hours. Thank you so much I am trying just want some enjoyment and a little less stress.

Hey there Nick :) Sorry to hear about all the pool woes. It seems some shortcuts have been taken originally and now you're paying the price for that. 8" out of level is way too much to be safe. You need to empty that puppy and re-level it. Once its re-leveled you can fix the PVC pipes and thats pretty easy. I don't have any experience with solar so can't advise you there....but someone here will know the answer.

Yip :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh, just looked at the pics- What a GORGEOUS barn!!! Did you build that?

Yip :flower:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news-----------------but, 8 inches is an absolute ton out of line. That much is plum dangerous. Sounds like you built "up" with sand instead of digging other end down to level. There are forms of crushed rock MUCH better suited to your purpose. Foundation or reset pool. First things first.

Ok so I went and checked out an old photo and I am very sorry that I made such a big mistake but it would appear that it is only 2-3 inches. You can see it in one of my photos on my google site. Sorry. I was way off and just to let you know we did not add that much sand because Intex gives a warning, etc. Thank you.

That is a nice set up! I bet your kids loved it!

Okay..........the plumbing will be easy to fix. Chop and replace where needed. I would make sure you have a way to drain everything in the future so this does not happen again. I would have unions everywhere to make your life easier.

I would take down the pool and dig out the high spot or have someone do it for you. Lets do it right just in time for summer swimming fun!

Do you have a test kit? If not please buy one. That alone will help make your pool a Trouble Free Pool hehe Look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck.

I am going to give you some light reading :roll: for when you have a moment to sit down:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

:hug: we will take care of this and make your pool life easier!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you Kim. I do have a kit but have not used it yet. I will look for it tomorrow. And ok about the unions and or would it be ok if I used an air compressor. The only place it cracked was the level low spots. I still don't get it as I don't there was much water in there all valves were open and mostly emptied. It has been super cold here this season. We do intend to pull the pool away from deck and get it level. I also want to remove the cheap blue tarp Intex included as it is breaking down into a million stringy pieces of annoyance. And I want to put some supports in and remove those blocks they don't make me feel too comfortable. I will read the book thank you for sharing that is great. I still don't know about the solar panels and how to keep them from destroying my roof. And the one thing I really would love to get some feedback on is the pipe configuration in the pump house and leaving up to the barn. The valve locations and the general configuration... is there a right way? A wrong way? I don't think the panels were working last year. We have put so much work into this pool. My 5 year old begins swim lessons at the YMCA next week. I need to get my happy face back on I can't find it today for sure. Thanks so much for your help. PS Am I replying correctly my responses seem to be all over the place.

If you can post some piping pics it would really help.

He has a link in post #5. He had a hard time with the photos before so he did it that way.

So you are telling me you had the returns and skimmer closed/plugged as well as the filter and pump empty. How did you remove the water in the pipes?

There is really no wrong way to do the pipes unless you make an "octopus" out of it LOL

I wish I had an answer for your solar and roof problem.

Here is what I did to winterize. Actually I was unsure that I did this in the best way so anything I can learn about the process could be very helpful. First, I drained as much water as would leave the pool via a hose by gravity as our property is sloped. Right down to the pond. Then I opened every valve that we have in all locations. I then removed the pump plug and the water drained out. Then I removed the sand filter plug and the water drained out. Next I removed the inline chlorinator cover and the water pushed up and out of that component. Next we took a shop vac and blew as much water out of the solar components as we could. Then at that point I felt like the pool was “open” and that any water would have “travel” to any open component. So I guess the two pvc pipes that lay on the ground had substantial amount of water and when we froze they cracked. Did not expect that! I hope that helps. I am glad that the pipe configuration is not too important. My friend who did the install is very intelligent and understands a lot about design and other things so I had hoped he completed it correctly. And yes I don’t know about the roof. Where I live we don’t have any pool companies. I did call a solar guy but he did not make it out. He is the person that told me that in our area due to night temperature changes the panels contract and relax substantially and that is the issue. They literally need to be able to move around so they can’t be attached too firmly. I am feeling better today. I can do this. I appreciate the help thank you.

See you have it all figured out already! You did all of the right things BUT found the weak spot in your set up. What can you do to keep it from happening again? Put a union there so you can open the pipe at those two areas so no water can sit there? Ask your friend what he suggests as he is the one that set the system up. He should have some ideas when he sees the pipes that cracked.

Does your solar work? it doesn't look like it's plumbed correctly, it looks like it's just a loop up and then returning to the pool? Seems like the return should be coming from the other side so the water can pass thru the panels. :confused:

Great question. I felt like it was not working. We had it up at the end of last season. I could never figure out what was happening. A good friend of mine did the install. The sad thing is he is having early signs of dementia. He shakes off and on. Why this is especially sad is that he was a brilliant man. He has done work for me over the years and it is incredible. So right now I am struggling with how to move forward. I don't have the time nor skills to do the work. So I am trying to talk with him about his thinking to determine my next step. I am going to include his response to me sharing a picture of how most folks set up the Sunsolar Heating system. With your indulgence (and please just don't read if this is over the top) I will include his response. I am still trying to figure out if my friend is just brilliant and over my head or maybe he is getting tripped up. It is a tough situation to deal with when you care about someone. Here is his response: Your system is hooked up this same way except your valves are manual and not electric, your panels are horizontal because your roof area is not long enough the be laid vertical and you don't have a flow brake, or a vacuum break valve. In addition to what's posted to these pictures you have a bypass system and a drain. If you look up at your roof imagine the 2nd rubber connector up on the left side as not being there. Inside the top rubber hose the plastic manifold has plugs threaded in. The rubber hose is keeping it stable but does nothing hydraulically. Then you can imagine how the water goes up and flows right through the first two panels, then goes up and back left through the top panel and into the return pipe. All that is needed is replacing the cracked pipes, add a flow meter, roof mount system and a couple of drains to get the water out for cold weather. I just tried to upload the image it is really small and yet this system tells me it exceeds my limit. I will place it on my google site: Pool - Google Photos

PS I think it needs to be installed like the picture shows in one end out the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.