Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free Chlorine - 19 ppm CC - 0 CYA - 40

1. Back To Top    #1

Free Chlorine - 19 ppm CC - 0 CYA - 40

I recently changed my pool water (non-SWG 10,000 gallons). I am still trying to get my levels intact but I think I went too far with chlorine (Clorox bleach and 2 chlorine tablets in a duck shaped floater). Here are my readings <Free Chlorine - 19 ppm CC - 0 CYA - 40>. Did I blow it? If so will the sun correct for me or do i need to fix it with something else? Thanks
    Gilbert AZ Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Free Chlorine - 19 ppm CC - 0 CYA - 40

Actually you are fine. Just remove the duck, since your CYA is a good value. The FC will drop naturally after a day or so. After that use pool math to tell you how much chlorine to add to maintain the proper level.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

great thanks. I started with the daily test and the Chlorine/Bromine side turned almost red (off the chart). I don't have a way of checking more detailed from Bromine but since I haven't added anything that would impact that, I assumed chlorine was my problem. I did add some PH reducer, which took me from 8.2 to 7.5 but I don't think that would have changed bromine (or at least I hope).
    Gilbert AZ Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

High chlorine can give you false readings on pH. They will read high. Don't trust your pH readings until the FC goes down. Just let it go down naturally. No problem having it high for a little bit.
    Screened in 15,000 gallon in-ground plaster SWG pool with attached spillover style spa. Borates 0 (might bring it up to 40-50ppm this season). Econo Flo 165 variable speed pump. Raypak 133k BTU Heat Pump. Oasis Controller. Dolphin Nautilus Plus CC Pool Cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks a bunch
    Gilbert AZ Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If you don't have a bromine pool (you haven't added bromine), you ignore the bromine numbers on the tester.

If you're adding bleach, you're only testing for chlorine. No worries, you're doing great.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D