Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I Raise CH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I Raise CH?

The pool was re-plastered a month ago and I started with TFP at that time. Current numbers:

FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 70
    CH 225
    CYA 40

Should I be increasing the CH? I will be raising the FC to 6, lowering PH to 7.5 and raising TA to 80 but wasn't sure about CH especially since it was replastered recently. The only guideline from the contractor was no CYA for month.
    9,000 gallon, kidney shaped pool, Hayward t-9 SWG, jandy cartridge filter, plus HP pool pump, superior solar heater, tf100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I Raise CH?

CH at 225 ppm is ok. It is barely on the low side with 250 being the recommendation. Your CH will likely increase as water evaporates leaving the CH behind and you fill with water that adds more CH. What is the CH of your fill water?

Don't raise TA, that will just push your pH up. TA between 60 and 80 is good.

Pool School - Recommended Levels
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Didn't realize CH of 225 was recommended. pool Math is telling me 250 to 350 for my pool parameters. I've been steady at 350 (newer plaster) and it hasn't suggested lowering it.

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is close enough to allow for the natural raise in CH when water evaporates and leaves the pool. It leaves the Calcium behind. Some places in the US have the dry climate that causes high evaporation rates and/or really hard water.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard