Metals In Water

Jun 22, 2016
Oradell
I have had metal stains for the last few years. Tried all of the obvious ways to 'hide' them. This spring I'm thinking of draining and starting over. I'm guessing the metals are coming from my tap water. Is there some type of filter available to filter out the metals from the water as I fill?

Welcome Joel,

Unfortunately it's just about the worse problem to have in a pool and it's usually Iron. Normally it's impossible to remove it all mechanically with a filter, and dfficult at best with other means. Are you on a well? Sometimes City supplies deliver Iron for various reasons, but before getting into all that too far what do these stains and your pool water look like?

No well water. The stains are brown and cover the entire surface of the vinyl liner in varying degrees of darkness. I've done the Ascorbic Acid treatment several times but the stain always comes back. Even with the sequest at the correct levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Joel,
I had metals in my pool from a well fill. Mostly would just show on white steps and jets. I had great luck with Jack's Purple stuff. i would turn the pool OFF and pour right out of the bottle in the step area , then walk around and pour right over jets.
Steps would turn white right before your eyes. try some.
Couple questions...... stains on steps too? Stains on VL on bottom? What are walls made of? Any chance you seeing rust from steel walls?

One thing about iron is that a small amount in your tap water will slowly build up over time until the concentration is high enough to generate stains. So, a drain and refill could start you over. You could do an ascorbic acid treatment to remove the stains and then drain and refill. More here, Pool School - Stains in Your Pool

I remember a thread about someone who did an ascorbic acid treatment and sequestrant to put the metal back into solution, then used pillow wadding and heavy duty paper towels in their skimmer to absorb the iron out of the water. The wadding and paper towels were very brown and looked like it was doing the job, but I do not remember how long ago that thread was.

That has happened in quite a few threads. Polyfill pillow stuffing or paper towels can sometimes catch iron particles that are in suspension in the water. Some folks fill a 5 gallon bucket with it and pump water through it. Or you can put it in the skimmer basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your water is cheap I'd do the partial drain and refill.

I had some light green showing up in my deep end after adding chlorine for the first time this year.
chemistry was all in order so it definitely seemed to be metals somehow. The least cost option
was replacing half the water. It's crystal clear again now and only set me back 20 bucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.