Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metals In Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Metals In Water

I have had metal stains for the last few years. Tried all of the obvious ways to 'hide' them. This spring I'm thinking of draining and starting over. I'm guessing the metals are coming from my tap water. Is there some type of filter available to filter out the metals from the water as I fill?
    28,000 Gallon, Inground Vinyl, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Superflow High Performance 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair Master Temp 400 heater, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ booster pump, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metals In Water

Welcome Joel,

Unfortunately it's just about the worse problem to have in a pool and it's usually Iron. Normally it's impossible to remove it all mechanically with a filter, and dfficult at best with other means. Are you on a well? Sometimes City supplies deliver Iron for various reasons, but before getting into all that too far what do these stains and your pool water look like?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

No well water. The stains are brown and cover the entire surface of the vinyl liner in varying degrees of darkness. I've done the Ascorbic Acid treatment several times but the stain always comes back. Even with the sequest at the correct levels.

28,000 Gallon, Inground Vinyl, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Superflow High Performance 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair Master Temp 400 heater, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ booster pump, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Joel,
    I had metals in my pool from a well fill. Mostly would just show on white steps and jets. I had great luck with Jack's Purple stuff. i would turn the pool OFF and pour right out of the bottle in the step area , then walk around and pour right over jets.
    Steps would turn white right before your eyes. try some.
    Couple questions...... stains on steps too? Stains on VL on bottom? What are walls made of? Any chance you seeing rust from steel walls?
    Cal C.

20k ig vl, hayward 2sp Tristar, hayward pro series sand filter, ecommand 4 with aqua connect, hayward heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner, TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

Stains are everywhere. Steps, bottom, sides. I believe the walls are steel.

6. Back To Top    #6

One thing about iron is that a small amount in your tap water will slowly build up over time until the concentration is high enough to generate stains. So, a drain and refill could start you over. You could do an ascorbic acid treatment to remove the stains and then drain and refill. More here, Pool School - Stains in Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

That was my plan. Thanks. Is there. Way to filter the water before I use it to fill the pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Swampwoman has some posts about pre-filtering iron from her water. I can't remember what she used.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I remember a thread about someone who did an ascorbic acid treatment and sequestrant to put the metal back into solution, then used pillow wadding and heavy duty paper towels in their skimmer to absorb the iron out of the water. The wadding and paper towels were very brown and looked like it was doing the job, but I do not remember how long ago that thread was.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

That has happened in quite a few threads. Polyfill pillow stuffing or paper towels can sometimes catch iron particles that are in suspension in the water. Some folks fill a 5 gallon bucket with it and pump water through it. Or you can put it in the skimmer basket.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Any issue with draining the pool? Do I need to be worried about the walls caving in?

12. Back To Top    #12

When draining a vinyl pool we recommend leaving a foot of water in the shallow end to prevent liner shift, shrink or other issues.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Great. Thanks for the tip.

14. Back To Top    #14

If your water is cheap I'd do the partial drain and refill.

I had some light green showing up in my deep end after adding chlorine for the first time this year.
    chemistry was all in order so it definitely seemed to be metals somehow. The least cost option
    was replacing half the water. It's crystal clear again now and only set me back 20 bucks.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

It's cheaper than chemical! Thanks.