Best Booster Pump Cleaner? Need to replace Polaris 280

JillTX

Mar 4, 2017
Tomball, TX
Have a Polaris 280, which my pool guy says is the best. It's 4 years old. At the 2 1/2 year mark, I started having all sorts of trouble with it. I have had it completely rebuilt and it's constantly getting worked on. I have spent more on it than a new one costs. It broke again and my husband told me not to repair it and buy a new one. I am reluctant to go with the 280, though on another pool, I had the same and it worked for years without problems. Suggestions please. I need to order one today!

Jill,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool or cleaner questions... :testkit:

Do you also still own an old black rotary dial phone? :cool:

I say this because booster powered cleaners are so last century, technology wise.. Today, just as cell phones have replaced the rotary dial phones, Robot pool cleaners are replacing the water powered cleaners.

See this link for an interesting thread on this subject... https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/120447-First-Robotic-Cleaner-Doheny-s-Discovery

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Just buy another 280 and hook er up !! i think they just give it up from being in the pool 24-7.
I like some new tech, others, not so much.
if they would make a robot with a pool wall plug that i could leave in the pool, I'm in.
not into lugging, or deck cords. Others are. That's why this board is so great !!
Otherwise, give me 55 Chevy !!
Currently building pool # 3.......going back to rainbow and mechanical timers.
and....... a 280. simple, lighting proof, no boards to fail. cheap too !!

Agree, induce. My 280 is over 14 years old. There is not one piece that has not been replaced. Factory rebuild kit every 2-3 years and you're good to go ($150'ish online).

I replaced the top, deck and bottom - brass inserts just corroded out, probably to to "pool guy" - before I became the pool chemistry expert when I joined TFP. That was about 2 years ago and the backup valve once. Oh, and a new motor 3 years ago?

To me, since I'm an "expert" repairman, this is kind of like maintenance on the car. BUT - I sure wouldn't want to fool with the electronics on one of these 'bots.

Sure would like the automatic brushing, though - the Polaris tail sweep is not so great on OLD marcite - still have to hand brush it! Saving up for a re-surface!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.