AquaRite T15 salt cell replacement

I've also seen mixed reports so I would stay away from those. The warranty terms are almost impossible to find, there is another thread here at TFP that contained what the terms are which results to basically a one year warranty. The pro-rated portion of warranty starts after a year and is based off the retail price which is just as high as a Hayward cell. And from some reports that I've seen it can be very difficult dealing with that company.

Reactions: Westovers
I can't really see a problem with the rebuilt salt solutions cell. There are problems with anything, but these cells aren't rocket science.

I've also seen mixed reports so I would stay away from those. The warranty terms are almost impossible to find, there is another thread here at TFP that contained what the terms are which results to basically a one year warranty. The pro-rated portion of warranty starts after a year and is based off the retail price which is just as high as a Hayward cell. And from some reports that I've seen it can be very difficult dealing with that company.

My first T-15 cell lasted 7.5 years and cost $450 to replace with a OEM one. $450/7.5= $60 per year chlorine cost. So at $60 per year to chlorinate a 19k pool that is open year-round in very sunny Tucson, why would I take a chance on a genaric just to try saving acouple dollars?

Generic 5 year warranty, what I"m buying when my salt cell dies.

https://saltpoolstore.com/collectio...ward-t-cell-15-40-000-gallons-5-year-warranty

Rebuitl cell from salt solutions

Products For Repair : * T - CELL - 15
Something to consider is will company be around to provide warranty. The first company domain was only registered a year ago, so not much to base their longevity on. The second was registered in 1998 so looks like they've been around a while. Might be worth a couple hundred more to get Hayward with warranty from Amazon with 3 year warranty. As a tip, most credit cards offer additional warranty as part of their purchase protection plans. Bank of America just increased theirs to 2 years, so buy from Amazon and get 5 years of total warranty.

Reactions: Westovers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
very good, i actually found a T-3 for 150 on ebay with a 5 year warranty that looks exactly the same with a 5 year warranty as well, seller is out of Tennesse.
(Firmware on the unit is 1.59 so should work, pool is 11k gallons.)

very good, i actually found a T-3 for 150 on ebay with a 5 year warranty that looks exactly the same with a 5 year warranty as well, seller is out of Tennesse.
(Firmware on the unit is 1.59 so should work, pool is 11k gallons.)
SWG Cells should be sized to twice your pool size. T-3 is for up to 15,000 gallons and is insufficient for pool your size. The T-15 you had is sized for up to 40,000 gallons, so you'll essentially need to triple the run time of your SWG to generate the same amount of chlorine.

You can use T-9, it is sized for up to 25,000 gallons. That's probably a reasonable compromise given your pool size. My pool is slightly larger than yours and I have the T-9 cell. I run my SWG at 50-60% in the summer with pump running for 10-12 hours. As comparison, with T-3 it would have be at 100% (constantly on) and pump would probably have to run slightly longer. This will exhaust your cell much sooner and cost you more to run your pump.

Why would the cell need to be sized for twice the pool size?

Commentary and Opinion on rebuilt cells. These are merely a catalyst. It is not rocket science, it is basic electro-chemistry, so why pay more for a new plastic case and a couple years of warranty? Let's say the rebuilt lasts 2 years but the OEM lasts 3. The rebuilt costs $190 less or @330 shipped which is $165/year. The new one from amazon is $520 shipped or $175/year. Now that isn't a whole lot of money but I'm assuming the life of these things. If the same catalyst is used on the rebuilt as the new the savings over three years is about $5/month, paying for the monthly cost of that new ring tone your wife has to have..

Because a cell rated for a 15k gal pool is based on running 100% output 100% of the time or close to it, especially in mid-summer. Which means your pump is running 24x7.

Experiences reported on this site do not support your theory that a rebuilt or generic cell will last just as long as an OEM cell. Apparently they aren't using the exact same parts, which I suppose is why they aren't willing to offer the same warranty.

Why would the cell need to be sized for twice the pool size?

Two reasons:
1. The pool size ratings are usually based on running the SWG (and of course that means running your pump) 24 hours a day.
2. The cells will only produce a given quantity of chlorine over their life span. The least expensive cost of operation is always to buy the largest cell, that makes your cost per pound of chlorine produced the lowest.

Commentary and Opinion on rebuilt cells. These are merely a catalyst. It is not rocket science, it is basic electro-chemistry, so why pay more for a new plastic case and a couple years of warranty? Let's say the rebuilt lasts 2 years but the OEM lasts 3. The rebuilt costs $190 less or @330 shipped which is $165/year. The new one from amazon is $520 shipped or $175/year. Now that isn't a whole lot of money but I'm assuming the life of these things. If the same catalyst is used on the rebuilt as the new the savings over three years is about $5/month, paying for the monthly cost of that new ring tone your wife has to have..

I got 7.5 years out of my first OEM T-15 cell. I can buy a genuine Hayward T-15 cell for $425. That makes my cost of chlorinating my pool less than $60 per year, and that's in a 19k pool that is open year-round in very sunny Tucson. Seeing so many complain about generic cells that die in a year or two, why take the risk? How much cheaper could one expect to chlorinate a pool?
But as with everything else, "your money, your choice".

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/TurboCell-SellSheet-LITTCCPSS13.pdf

Through independent tests by the leading authority in electrolytic cells, CompuPool cells have been shown to have 75% less operating life than a genuine Hayward T-CELL-15

Cell.................Rated lifetime output
TCELL940............725 Lb
T-CELL-15.............580 Lb
Generic.................145 Lb

If the rated output is accurate, the genuine cell will produce 4 times the total lifetime output versus the generic.

I don't know how much the quality actually varies.

However, coatings can be quite different. Coating science can be quite complex.

It's like if the new guy at a Ford manufacturing plant argued that there was no need to spend a lot of money painting cars when they could just buy a couple of cans of cheap generic spray paint and get the same paint job.

In the business I'm in we don't take the test results of the manufacturer without third party review of the results by another competent engineer. I take Haywards tests with a grain of salt so to speak. Is there actual third party testing to document the life span of these generic and / or rebuilt cells?

The document referenced indicates that it's an independent third party.

If it wasn't legitimate, Compupool could sue for damages and get an injunction to stop Hayward from making the claims.

DeNora Tech CompuPool Analysis, 2013

I would imagine that the documentation would be available for review should you want to request a copy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.