Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump with Hayward Tristar VS

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump with Hayward Tristar VS

I am undergoing a major renovation and have just had a Hayward Tristar VS 900 pool pump installed. I also just ordered a Stenner 45mhp10 pump for chlorine/bleach injection. What's the best way to set this up so that the Stenner only runs when the pool pump is running? Can the Tristar timer start and stop the Stenner pump?
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner
    Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater,
    Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection)
    2 skimmers, 2 returns, main drain, Lamotte ColorQ and TF-100 test kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump with Hayward Tristar VS

Tom,

I took a quick look at the manual and did not see anything that made it look like the pump could tell any external device that it was running.

You can control the pump remotely with relay input and even stop the pump with an external input, but I saw nothing about the pump having an external output.

Let's see if some of the other member have a different idea.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

With all those internal timers, you'd think they thought of that...controlling an external device that might be dependent upon the status of the pump.
    Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater,

4. Back To Top    #4

Tom,

I find it hard to believe also...

It seems that someone here built, or was going to build, a current sensing device that could be connected to the pumps AC input line. When it sensed current flow in the power line it would close a relay to indicate the pump was running.

If you want you can try the search box in the upper right of your screen and see if you can find anything.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

I posted this question thru Hayward's support interface. If their response pushes this discussion any further (one way or the other), I'll post here.

6. Back To Top    #6

The current sensing relay that's gotten the most press around here is the Macromatic. There are others of course and they all work about the same way.

Adding a current sensing relay on the power input to the pump would work. You'll have to be able to set the low current sense just above the parasitic drain of the electronics when the pump isn't running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit