Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Added to Cartridge Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Added to Cartridge Filter

My pool is not installed yet but I have bought and received my Pentair Clean and Clear 200 cartridge filter. I was reading through the instruction manual and noticed this passage:

"When the cartridge element filter is used on new pools and after cleaning the elements, introduce into the system .5 pounds
    of diatomaceous earth per every 100 square feet of filter area, (a one-pound coffee can equals .5 pounds of diatomaceous
    earth). Mix the diatomite with water and pour it into the skimmer after the pump is primed and the system is operating. This
    will enhance the filtration of your water."

Has anyone done this? I have read other posts that did not recommend doing this. Thanks.
    24' x 52" 13.5K gal. Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG pool. Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter. Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump. Dolphin E-10 robot. TF-100 Test Kit. Confer CCX-AG with curve add on pool steps. My Pool Build.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Added to Cartridge Filter

I would NOT recommend doing this. DE will become entrained into the filter medium and will not be removed with simple hose washing. You will irrevocably reduce the filtration rate of the filter cartridge. It will certainly make the filter remove finer particulates but at the cost of compromising the element. On a new plaster pool and depending on startup process used, one can get some plaster dust (calcium carbonate particulates) to develop. That will certainly clog up a new cartridge filter quickly. However, plaster dust can be cleaned from a filter if it is heavily lodged into the media - you simply acid soak the filter (but ONLY after first cleaning in it in TSP to remove oils) and the acid will dissolve the plaster dust. DE is made of crystalline silica particles which will not be dissolved by acid.

Do yourself a favor and just ignore that part of the manual.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Why would they recommend this?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Replacement cartridge sales?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the responses. I thought it looked kind of strange since I had not heard of that done - I have seen people recommending DE in sand filters.
    24' x 52" 13.5K gal. Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG pool. Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter. Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump. Dolphin E-10 robot. TF-100 Test Kit. Confer CCX-AG with curve add on pool steps. My Pool Build.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, and it does work well I assure you. I do it a lot, and it helps with the fine dust we see a lot of.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem