Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pH is low - Do I use baking soda?

1. Back To Top    #1

My pH is low - Do I use baking soda?

Hi,

My hot tub chlorine is doing well but the pH not so high. I remember using baking soda over the summer to raise the PH. Can I do that in my hot tub or do i need soda ash?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pH is low - Do I use baking soda?

What's your TA?

Baking soda will do this BUT ONLY if you have the spa jets aerating the water and the process is slow. Depending on your other reading (TA, CH, etc), it may be ok to use soda ash but I would only recommend that if the pH was extremely low, as in it crashed because too much acid was added. If you're just trying to go from 7.2 to 7.6 or some small change like that, baking soda will work.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Baking soda raises TA. More here about pool chems and what they do including several to raise your pH. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Post a set of test results and I can offer a little better advice on managing pH.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Washing soda raises pH, baking soda raises TA. Unless you are below 7.2, I would just let it rise naturally.
    Screened in 15,000 gallon in-ground plaster SWG pool with attached spillover style spa. Borates 0 (might bring it up to 40-50ppm this season). Econo Flo 165 variable speed pump. Raypak 133k BTU Heat Pump. Oasis Controller. Dolphin Nautilus Plus CC Pool Cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.