Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seventh day of SLAM, water still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Seventh day of SLAM, water still cloudy

Had to SLAM the pool last Friday. Green is gone but the water is still cloudy. My pump has been running 24/7 since I started the SLAM.

3/3 7am
    FC - 29.5
    CC - 1.0
    CYA - 70
    TA - 150
    CH - 270
    Ph - 8.0 (I know it's high because of SLAM)

At 4pm I tested again and my FC was 21.5 so I am going to add more chlorine. I have some pool clarifier from last year. Do you think that will help? What about sand filter revitalizer?
    Recessed Above-Ground w/ Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Pentaris Sand Filter
    18,000 gallons
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Seventh day of SLAM, water still cloudy

With that sort of FC drop and a CC of 1.0 it would appear that you have some way to go. Just stay the course and avoid the clarifier and sand filter revitaliser.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Pretty much once you start a slam you add nothing but bleach/chlorine. Maybe cya if you're low, which you're not. Just stick with it, th cc means you're killing stuff. Run filter 24/7.
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

And brush, brush, brush. Gotta get all the hidy holes.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

...and keep an eye on the filter in case it needs backwashing. When your gauge is 20-25% over baseline clean that puppy out!

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, I did go back and brush. There were some pockets of green dust.
    Hayward Pump
    Pentaris Sand Filter
    18,000 gallons
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that isn't surprising. When they get bad, it just takes some time to get them nice again. Keep at it, and you'll have a nice pool again soon enough. Do your best not to get impatient.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, don't miss the information about backwashing your sand filter. I inherited a green-black pool complete with bullfrogs last year and it took me somewhere between 20 and 30 days to get it crystal clear. I never thought I would get there. It was cloudy blue forever. I backwashed the filter daily. It didn't have a gauge on it (that is how it came from the installer) so I couldn't look at pressure readings, but the backwash was SO cloudy every single time.

You'll get there. Just keep SLAMming. Seriously, you'll get there.
    CITY: Fayetteville, NC POOL: 20x40, approx. 33000 ga, IG, Vinyl, Hayward SwimClear C3030, Hayward Max-Flo 2302VSP, Hayward T-Cell-15, Hayward ProLogic Plus 4 controller (not incredibly useful because the pump won't work with it and we don't have anything else for it to control), well water

9. Back To Top    #9

How long can my pump continue to run continuously? Day 10.
    Hayward Pump
    Pentaris Sand Filter
    18,000 gallons
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

They are able to run continuously. Like 24/7....although your electric bill may suffer, it shouldn't.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by canjones View Post
    How long can my pump continue to run continuously? Day 10.
    Yea! Keep at it! What I found helpful is to post my most recent test results each time I posted here, it not only helped me keep a log, but others can point out if they see any issues. PoolPal is an app on Android and has the TFP settings on it. I use it to log my pool. Wish I had it last year when I was SLAMming.
    CITY: Fayetteville, NC POOL: 20x40, approx. 33000 ga, IG, Vinyl, Hayward SwimClear C3030, Hayward Max-Flo 2302VSP, Hayward T-Cell-15, Hayward ProLogic Plus 4 controller (not incredibly useful because the pump won't work with it and we don't have anything else for it to control), well water

12. Back To Top    #12

when I did my first slam, it took about 2 weeks total before it was done and crystal clear.

Brushing daily is a big important aspect.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Here are some other SLAM stories:

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...rational-links
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

20170223_070222.jpg Pool pic from February 23, 2017. When I woke up that morning and saw the ducks that was an indication that it was time to do something! It started raining today so I wasn't able to get a pic. Maybe tomorrow. I started seeing the shallow end earlier this week. Deep end is still a little blurry. I was hoping everything would be clear by Monday since it is our Spring Break. But, today we had thunderstorms and I saw a lot of dirt and branches in the pool tonight when I went to check the levels. I have used 34 gallons of bleach so far. Will post updated pic tomorrow.

FC 23.5 put enough chlorine in to raise to 28
    CC .5
    I haven't really checked the other levels but this is what they were at the beginning of this process...
    CYA - 70
    TA - 150
    CH - 270
    Ph - 8.0

Hayward Pump
    Pentaris Sand Filter
    18,000 gallons
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Branches?! You gotta get those things outta there dude! Of course its improvement in the sense that you can *see* those branches now, eh?

Remember, the pool didn't go green overnight, so it takes a bit of time to reverse the process.

Yip

16. Back To Top    #16

Late start... 11 am testing. About to clean out pool from thunderstorms.

FC 23.5
    CC 2.0 (why?!)
    CYA 30
    Ph above 8
    TA - 150
    CH - 300

Since my CYA is down but my CC is back up what do you think I should do? Shock to the recommended 12 or go higher? I've been shocking based on my CYA level of 70. I can't believe that my CYA is down that low. I tested it twice just to be sure.
    Hayward Pump
    Pentaris Sand Filter
    18,000 gallons
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006

17. Back To Top    #17

How would the CYA drop though? UNless you emptied and refilled about half your water it can't drop like that. Was it sunny outside when you tested the CYA? You have to have your back to the sun, holding the tube waisthigh.

I'm confused I don't know what to tell you other than try to figure that CYA test out to give you your FC value. If you're CYA is truly 30, using the chlorine meant for 70ppm of CYA risks bleaching your liner. But if its really truly 70ppm, treating it with the chlorine meant for 30 is a waste of time. Such a dilemma!

Don't worry about the CCs if you're SLAM mode- that just tells you you've got something in there. We already know that, right?

18. Back To Top    #18

This is making me crazy. I assumed the CYA dropped because of all the rain. I'll test again tomorrow. No sun today. I was standing under light in the house. I don't think I knew about keeping the tube waist high. I continue to learn something new every time I get on here!
    Hayward Pump
    Pentaris Sand Filter
    18,000 gallons
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Do the CYA test outside, full sun, back to the sun, hold the tube with 2 fingers near top at waist height. Try not to stare at the black dot - glance at it and then look away. Look back for a second to see if it's still visible.

You can do the test multiple times using the same solution. Just pour it all back into the bottle and start again. This can help you geta better feel for the test without using all your CYA testing reagent.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

20. Back To Top    #20

The good news is I passed the overnight test. Bad news is I retested the CYA and used my last bit of reagant before reading your post. No sun till later today or tomorrow. I'll have to order more CYA reagant. My reading today was a 30 to 35 for me and a 40 to husband.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hayward Pump
    Pentaris Sand Filter
    18,000 gallons
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast