Cantilever umbrella

Perpetual summer

Silver Supporter
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
This is our first summer with our pool, 2 weeks last fall is extent of pool time. My wife and I are looking for an umbrella for around pool. Wanting a large cantilevered free standing maybe 13ft. Does anybody have any good reviews or experience with similar? Slightly concerned about wind as we are somewhat in the open. We have about a month before wanting to order. Any recommendations?

We have one in our courtyard that we got from Costco a couple of years ago - it has a base that you fill with sand. Ours is 11ft., which seems pretty big. We pair it up with a standard umbrella that is easy to move around as needed to customize the shade.

A strong wind will move it around a bit, but it has never blown over or anything - even with our big storms this winter on the coast in California it is still sitting right where it was placed with just the fabric tie keeping it closed. It is a bit of a pain to move around but it is doable especially with 2 people pushing/sliding it around. The arm can rotate and swing around, so if you can find a good spot for it there is still quite a bit of shade adjustment just by pivoting the arm around the base...

11 ft. Cantilever Umbrella

There are cheaper ones we looked at, but they use concrete pavers for the base - which didn't look very stable to us. The really nice ones at the fancy patio stores were much more expensive compared to this Costco model.

We got ours (along with furniture) from Pottery Barn. Exceptionally well made but a bit pricey. The base is pre-fitted with concrete blocks BUT they designed it with a set of very sturdy built-in wheels (cylinders really) that allow you to drop them down, wheel the umbrella and then retract the wheels back up. Very, VERY handy for moving it.

I would suggest that, no matter where you get them from, buy umbrella covers! They are cheap with even the largest sizes costing less than $50 and they will protect your umbrella shade fabric from degradation. They all say that the shade will "last forever" but that's not including fading which will occur when not in use. I'd rather trash and run through three $50 covers than have to replace a shade that costs hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for the replies, I will have to go to Costco to check them out. We want something that will last, sunbrella material for sure, depending on the cost. I don't know if pay a lot and hope we can get 3 or 4 years from it or buy cheap and replace when needed.

The Sunbrella brand fabric definitely last better than others. I had a couple umbrellas that lasted 7-8 years in the blazing dessert sun. They were finally ruined from damage to the bows and fabric from rough handling when taking down or during storage. Needless to say, my "new" ones are also Sunbrella brand fabric. I think the new ones are two or three years old now.

I can not speak to the cantilever type, as we had a built in table with umbrella mount, so got straight umbrella. We purchased an 11' sunbrella covered autotilt umbrella from patioshoppers.com shown here. We are very happy with it. They have many models. The store was great - prices and delivery. I highly recommend the sunbrella fabric. Its great on any outdoor items - umbrellas, furniture...

Many of these larger umbrellas will have wind vents built in to help keep them from lifting. That said, I do close mine and remove when we have high winds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We bought a portifino umbrella from costco. Let me tell you that thing is huge!! It wheels around pretty well and is very sturdy. It is definitely built better than the typical menards umbrellas, but it was expensive. We also bought most of out furniture there, love the return policy.

I have the 13 ft Treasure Garden. Paid a lot. Generally woks great. May attempt lift off in a moderate wind. Its huge.

It comes with a cover.

I was going to build a fancy shade structure. Had plans. Was putting together materials lists. Then I realized the best time in our backyard was in the morning. Breakfast was so great on the couch in yard. With a shade structure I would lose a lot of that. Plus my house is built on mine tailings digging a post hole can be well -- Interesting. So I went with the giant umbrella. I have to call the airport and the HOA every time I open it but so far all the planes have missed it.

I have the 13 ft Treasure Garden. Paid a lot. Generally woks great. May attempt lift off in a moderate wind. Its huge.

It comes with a cover.

I was going to build a fancy shade structure. Had plans. Was putting together materials lists. Then I realized the best time in our backyard was in the morning. Breakfast was so great on the couch in yard. With a shade structure I would lose a lot of that. Plus my house is built on mine tailings digging a post hole can be well -- Interesting. So I went with the giant umbrella. I have to call the airport and the HOA every time I open it but so far all the planes have missed it.

Has NASA inquired about the large alien structure in your yard? The International Space Station has the imaging online....

Mine tailings!? That's kind of cool. Find any gold yet? My in-laws used to live near Placerville and every time we visited I got the entire history of placer mining told to me over and over and over and over again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 12' cantilever on the edge of my above ground pool. It was a Coolaroo brand and held up extremely well for a couple of years until I was in the pool with the umbrella open and a HUGE gust of wind took it. The big plastic base was filled with water. Unfortunately, the umbrella broke. I bought a cheaper replacement 10' version but it faded in no time. I think I bought the Coolaroo one at Kohls and will only buy that brand in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam's has a 10' market umbrella in my local store for $119 I've been thinking about getting. It says it is a Member's Mark brand, but the fabric seems nice and is uv resistant. But I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it yet.

We also have the 13' Treasure Garden cantilever umbrella. This thing is huge. The base it comes with is filled with 400 pounds of sand. Each of the four "sand boxes" are filled with 100 pounds of sand, and are removable from the base. So, moving it is possible, but a little bit of a chore.

We picked ours up on sale, but it was still pricey. We were in the process of a backyard remodel at the time....which included a new raised wood deck. The base for the umbrella is installed under the deck so that the base is not out in the open taking up space. The umbrella is positioned so that we can shade the deck, or rotate it and shade the shallow end of the pool.

Bryan

We also have the 13' Treasure Garden cantilever umbrella. This thing is huge. The base it comes with is filled with 400 pounds of sand. Each of the four "sand boxes" are filled with 100 pounds of sand, and are removable from the base. So, moving it is possible, but a little bit of a chore.

We picked ours up on sale, but it was still pricey. We were in the process of a backyard remodel at the time....which included a new raised wood deck. The base for the umbrella is installed under the deck so that the base is not out in the open taking up space. The umbrella is positioned so that we can shade the deck, or rotate it and shade the shallow end of the pool.

Bryan

My Treasure Garden 13' in Pacific Blue just arrived today, took about 5 week turn around after order. The thing is huge but it sure sets off the pool area. Super easy install and yes a little pricey but this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

Salty

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.