Lost Almost All My Water Over Winter -- Liner or Main Drain

May 15, 2016
Plainfield, NJ
Hi Folks. Bought a new home last spring with a 27' round above ground pool. I was able to get it open and maintained all summer -- kids loved it. I closed it up in October and by late November it was losing water badly -- only had 16" of water left in it. I had only drained it to 1" below the skimmer -- so it lost 6-12" a week for a month or so. It stabilized with 16" of water left in the pool, I don't know why. I checked everywhere around the sides of the pool and didn't find a soggy spot.

Seems like there are two things that could be wrong:

1) Liner sprung a leak late in the season and I didn't notice. I didn't have to do any extra filling in the last month or two, but maybe I just didn't notice? In any case, the liner looks quite old, so it wouldn't surprise me that it needs to go.

2) Main drain has a leak (yes, this AGP has a main drain). I blew it out with my compressor, set at only 20lbs of pressure, but maybe I damaged something? Seems unlikely that I could damage pvc with low pressure, but maybe? There's no good way to check this, as far as I can tell?

Other thoughts or ideas? What else should I check?

If it's the main drain, you wouldn't have any water left because that'd be the lowest point. Check the wall where your ladder sits. You may have a tear there if you removed the ladder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.