SWCG Installed today - a few questions - Aerator Pics added

Re: SWCG Installed today - a few questions - Water #'s added

frustratedpoolmom,
Ok, I removed the light and scrubbed the hole out with a 3M Scotch Brite scrubby pad. Really wasn't anything in the light can hole, but scrubbed it any way. There is now absoultly nothing in my pool, ladders were not installed yet this year, so the only thing in my pool is the vinyl liner, skimmer basket, deep end suction intake (looks like a return jet), and 2 return jets. I aslo brushed the entire pool again and then once settled (minor amount), vacuumed the entire pool. The water is "sparkly".

I also must mention that this pool was Baquacil conversion upon opening this year (2 years Baqucil). I did not mention this fact in this thread, but had in another thread here http://www.troublefreepool.com/newbie-to-the-forum-saying-hi-t13765.html. I used Calcium Hypo (70%) to do the conversion. First application of cal hypo was 50 lbs, second application was 12.5 lbs, 3rd application was 12.5 lbs. Before I found this site my poolstore had me make sure I was not losing even 1ppm overnight. I was finally able to accomplish that feat, and then I then changed 100% of the 2 year old filter zeolite sand with new Zeosand. Then moved on to installing the SWCG, and at that point is where I started this thread. Then I received my TF100 test kit and did my own test and found the CC issue.

Well....that could explain it I think keeping the FC elevated as you are and uncovered so the sunlight can help eat the remaining CC should do the trick then. Good to know.

Hopefully today or tomorrow you should see progress. :goodjob:

Test results at 8:30pm
FC - 17
CC - .75 - I say this cause 1 drop almost made it go back to clear, where this morning it definately took 2 full drops.

nauidvr1 said:
Test results at 8:30pm
FC - 17
CC - .75 - I say this cause 1 drop almost made it go back to clear, where this morning it definately took 2 full drops.
So, you are going to retest in the morning before the sun hits your pool, right? :-D

Yep, I sure am. I put the solar cover (silver type) back on at 9:00pm to try to keep from losing any heat tonight. I'll retest about 8-8:30am and leave solar cover off for the day. I lost 12ppm FC during the day today so I will assume that I'm going to lose about 12ppm again tommorow which will put me close to my target level of 2-5ppm. If my CC is .5ppm then I can re-install the SWCG and fire it up at 20% to maintain my proper desired FC.

Test results from 8:30am
FC - 17
CC - .5
pH - 7.5
TA - 110
CH - 290
CYA - 50
Salt - 3900
Borates - 15 (using proteam supreme strips)

I don't trust my readings on the CH yet, so I did not do it.

I edited the TA & CH readings above, as I was able to take my TF100 test kit to my poolstore and use there magnetic swirl machine (I know the manager well). It seems I just can't swirl the water & drops enough to get beleivable readings on TA & CH at home. So the numbers above are now believable.

I'm now going to build an aerator and address my TA. I want to bring it down to 70-80. Then add the Borates.

My CYA is still low after adding 16 lbs of stabilizer from a reading of 0, which was completly disovled last Sunday night - 6 days ago. According to the pool calculator 16 lbs of CYA should have brought my CYA up to 77ppm - any idea why it did not? When I add the Salt support to get the Borates up it will raise the CYA about 27-30ppm, so I'll wait till after the borates are in to worry about the CYA.

Am I on the right track here? Do I have to wait for the FC to fall back to 3-5 before adding borates?

I added 64 oz of Muratic Acid and brought my pH down to 7.0-7.1 and hopefully my TA down by 10, and am now in the aeration phase.

I have built my aerator device and attached it to a return line. See pictures below. I was wondering which way to point the aerator to get the fastest results. I specifically built the aerator with unions on the "T" part of the pipe so I could rotate the streams of water to achieve the best results (read quickest results) and also for later in the summer when the water gets to warm I can remove heat from the water as well, by pointing them up to make a fountain.

So once you have looked at the pictures let me know which works faster for bringing the pH back up the quickest.

One side pointed up, one side pointed down
Aerator_001sm.JPG

Closer picture of One side pointed up, one side pointed down
Aerator_002sm.JPG

Better picture of One side pointed up, one side pointed down
Aerator_004sm.JPG

Both sides pointed down
Aerator_005sm.JPG

Both sides pointed down, with opposite return jet pointed up to break the surface of the pool
Aerator_007sm.JPG

Aerator_008sm.JPG

Handy! :goodjob:

Looks like you are golden on the FC overnight test. :wink:

As for the CYA - not sure. Measured wrong? Bought a lesser-strength formula (I accidentially bought Malibu brand and it was only 50% CYA.)?

frustratedpoolmom said:
As for the CYA - not sure. Measured wrong? Bought a lesser-strength formula (I accidentially bought Malibu brand and it was only 50% CYA.)?

The CYA I used was ProTeam granular - never again, took to darn long to disolve. I bought 100 lbs of powered CYA for future use. I can by from a pool supply wholesaler warehouse as a contractor, and I got a good price. Before going to a SWCG I had heard that you really have to keep your CYA in check and will use more of it than normal - so I thought I would stock up 8).

Also, I tested it twice, and then had two different pool stores test it as well, and all readings were 50, so I think I did everything I could to obtain an accurate reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

nauidvr1 said:
I edited the TA & CH readings above, as I was able to take my TF100 test kit to my poolstore and use there magnetic swirl machine (I know the manager well). It seems I just can't swirl the water & drops enough to get beleivable readings on TA & CH at home. So the numbers above are now believable.

I'm now going to build an aerator and address my TA. I want to bring it down to 70-80. Then add the Borates.

My CYA is still low after adding 16 lbs of stabilizer from a reading of 0, which was completly disovled last Sunday night - 6 days ago. According to the pool calculator 16 lbs of CYA should have brought my CYA up to 77ppm - any idea why it did not? When I add the Salt support to get the Borates up it will raise the CYA about 27-30ppm, so I'll wait till after the borates are in to worry about the CYA.

Am I on the right track here? Do I have to wait for the FC to fall back to 3-5 before adding borates?

I just ordered this: http://piscines-apollo.com/english_stirrer.htm

can't wait to try it out!

nauidvr1 said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

The CYA I used was ProTeam granular - never again, took to darn long to disolve. I bought 100 lbs of powered CYA for future use. I can by from a pool supply wholesaler warehouse as a contractor, and I got a good price. Before going to a SWCG I had heard that you really have to keep your CYA in check and will use more of it than normal - so I thought I would stock up 8).

Also, I tested it twice, and then had two different pool stores test it as well, and all readings were 50, so I think I did everything I could to obtain an accurate reading.

It's interesting their MSDS doesn't list a % strength. I'm not sure what to make of that. IT looks like the product label only shows Cyanuric Acid though.

Update:
Just been working on getting the TA down from 110 to 70-80. Doing the muratic acid then aerating each day. As of today I have the TA down to 80. Going to shoot for 5 points lower then put in the borates and I should be golden thanks to all you great folks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.