SWCG Installed today - a few questions - Aerator Pics added

Re: SWCG Installed today - a few questions - Water #'s added

I suggest you finish shocking your pool first. :wink:

You are done shocking when you meet the three criteria.

1. Your overnight FC loss is 1ppm or less,
2. Your CC is 0.5 or less and
3. Your water is sparkly.

Then address the TA issue. I suggest you redo the TA test and wipe the dropper with a damp cloth in between drops.

Also, the CH test needs to be done slowly and with lots of swirling in between each drop. Most of us wish we owned the magnetic stirrer when we do this test.

Really, just try to work on one issue at a time and your shocking is #1 priority. IMHO

Butterfly,
Thank you, I will follow your reccommendation of shocking first. Then I'll address the other issues (if they exist).

pool store results are notoriosly inaccurate. Waterbear can explain more, but it could be that they did not calibrate their machine in a while, or they are just using strips...once you can get repeat results using the tf-100...trust the tf, not the pool store.

on lowering ta...you can raise your ph to 7.6, via aeration first...then add enough ma to bring it down to 7.0....aerate to 7.6...add enough ma to 7.0 again...aerate..repeat...make sense?

Last night about 10pm, I added 1,728 oz (18-96 oz jugs) of bleach, which should have raised my FC by 33.3ppm to a total of 39.5ppm.

I just tested (1:30pm) FC & CC and got the following results.
FC - 36
CC - 1

Is your SWG on?

If your pool is covered, uncover it to let the sunlight help breakdown the CC level.

To perform the overnight FC loss test, the SWG must be off.

frustratedpoolmom,
Yes, I completely removed the SWCG and put a bypass pipe (dummy cell) in place of it. I did have the solar cover on last night to keep the temp from dropping, but just uncovered it after the rains quit and the sun came out. I like to keep it covered at night.

Okay. Good, remember when you perform the overnight test tonight, make sure you test first thing in the morning before the sun hits the pool and compare the two results.

It will be quite hard to test first thing in the morning, becasue I work late (3-4am) and sleep late (10am). Being that my schedule is messed up can I still perform the test even if the sun is up at 10 am?

Edit - I will be up early tomorrow and can test about 8:30am. It was a cloudy day here today so the sun had not hit the pool yet at 1:30pm. Might get lucky tomorrow too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

frustratedpoolmom said:
You tested this morning at 9am? What was the result?

No, sorry I was confused in the above post and edited it. I tested today at 1:30pm.

I am going to be up early tomorrow and will get a test right away (8:00am maybe) & post the results.

Nope, thought it was a 24 hour test. So I have to do an overnight test. Where your testing after the sun is down & before sun hits pool?

Yes, exactly. Test after sunset and then first thing in the morning and compare.

Make sure the cover is off today to help with that pesky CC level...

Are you brushing areas - areas that might not get adequate circulation (behind ladders, light niches, etc.) It just seems odd that you still have such a high CC level after keeping your FC up.

I removed pool cover at 8:25 am this morning and will leave off all day. Yes, I have brushed the heck out of the pool. I do not have the ladders installed right now, but the is a pool light istalled in the wall - do I need to remove the light and set it up on the deck out of the water?

I'm not familiar with lights (have none), but I remember reading on here that algae can get in the niches and the chlorine isn't reaching it adequately. Is it easy to take out?

Sure. If you're at all worried, where an old suit and shower after. Plenty folk report swimming at shock levels, slightly under-whatever. I've swam in high FC levels. Often the ratio of FC is much higher in an indoor pool with no CYA. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.