Another pebble finish question!!

smanni

Oct 20, 2012
Wildwood Crest NJ
We opened up the bidding on our pool project to another local pool builder. Actually - he used to be active on this forum. Seems to have a great local reputation.

That being said - if we go with them, we are leaning towards their "Custom Monogram Pebble Blue" finish. I believe this is a custom Pebble finish made for them by CL Industries.

Does anyone have experience with this finish? How about Cl Industries pebble finishes in general.

We have 3 VERY active kids. Our pool will likely be used for basketball, volleyball, dogs, rough housing...etc. I know that any gunite pool is going to have some sort of HARD and ROUGH finish....lets face it - they are all cement based products as we are not lining the pool with feathers...but still - I wonder if Ill regret how rough a pebble finish is? I love the potential durability of a pebble finish....but have a few concerns about the "feel". If its really like an orange peel - I think its fine....

I would love to know if this finish is smooth enough for my kids (and lets be real....also for me) to "play" in the pool without bleeding.

Again - I do realize that if you drag your foot across any cement product (sidewalk, etc)..that its going to hurt and may bleed. But still - Im hoping the finish is smooth enough to not contribute to additional injuries.

Also - we do plan on visiting other local pools to see and feel it in person - but I was hoping someone on here may have some input.

Thank You!

I had a friend use B&B and it came out great. They have been around a long time and earned a good reputation. I'm thinking these are the two best in the area and you won't go wrong with either. M was several thousand more for my build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plain plaster is as smooth as a baby's bottom. A standard pebble finish will be the roughest and all others in between the two.

Have you considered Aquabright? Carlton Pools would be the AB folks in your area from what I see. It requires a basic plaster installation first for your new pool with AB on top. So the price seems to end up similar to a high end Pebble finish.

I will consider if I need to resurface.

The AB is a flexible material that can have a smooth or slightly textured surface, but it would have a slightly soft feel compared to any plaster finish.

Last edited:
We have pebbletec and it is very textured -- more than an orange peel, but the tiny pebbles have smooth edges. I think it would be a little rough on young kids' feet and it is possible to scrape a knee or elbow on it (if roughhousing for example). I would recommend this type of pebble over the smaller versions which can actually be more abrasive (more like sandpaper). But I also would recommend a quartz finish or plain (perhaps colored) plaster over pebble finish if smoothness is a priority. We opted for pebbletec for looks and durability, knowing a downside would be it can be a bit coarse. We love it but there definitely are smoother options available.

Which of these finishes is least likely to fade over time? I want a dark color and I've even seen people's dark pebbketec finishes fade. Is this avoidable?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I understand it the fade is the plaster mostly NOT the pebbles ... If you get dark pebbles they wont fade much ....Its dark plaster that people report to fade. And if you consider that the sun and chlorine are BOTH effective color bleachers .... So you should expect some fade on ANYthing that is dyed like colored plaster

My plain plaster is as smooth as a baby's bottom. A standard pebble finish will be the roughest and all others in between the two.

Have you considered Aquabright? Carlton Pools would be the AB folks in your area from what I see. It requires a basic plaster installation first for your new pool with AB on top. So the price seems to end up similar to a high end Pebble finish.

I will consider if I need to resurface.

The AB is a flexible material that can have a smooth or slightly textured surface, but it would have a slightly soft feel compared to any plaster finish.

Thanks for the reply. I know all about Aquabright (its very, very local to me geographically) and no I am not considering it at all any more.

We don't have pebble, we went with Wet Edge Primera Stone because of the roughness factor and are happy with it. But it seems like most people are very happy with the smaller pebble/Pebblesheen types--they are the prettiest and to me they feel 'bumpy' like orange peel or basketball, but not 'rough'.

I think kids with tender feet will always have scrapes at the beginning of swim season for a couple weeks until their feet get toughened up :) My son has very sensitive feet, the first few days in our pool playing volleyball for hours the bottoms of his big toes were scraped up a little--and our plaster is about the smoothest out there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We also went with the Wet Edge Primera Stone finish - I am a whimp and have soft feet/skin so I wanted a smooth finish.

If my son beaches himself on the sun shelf, Shamu style, he skin gets roughed up on his chest and stomach a bit. His feet? He hasn't complained about them since the first week when the pool was brand new...

I haven't had any issues with the surface and love the smooth feel.

Quick update - I met with the PB today and was able to see and feel their custom pebble. Seemed more smooth than we expected and we loved the color. Clearly, we will touch an actual pool before we choose it, but I feel better after seeing the size of the pebbles and the finish.

The other guys are quoting quartz so the roughness of the finish isnt as much of a concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.