Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing crack options?

1. Back To Top    #1

Repairing crack options?

I'm not 100% sure yet that there is a crack at the bottom of my pool, but all signs are pointing that way. I had a great leak detector guy come out yesterday who checked all the plumbing, lines, lights, coping, tile, deck, and even swam around the entire pool for about 30 minutes looking for a leak with dye. He didn't find anything, but did rule out everything except a hairline crack that could have been missed from being so small. I'll be draining my pool shortly to help spot the problem, but just thinking in advance, what are my options for fixing a crack that is leaking about an inch of water a day?
    22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repairing crack options?

Our pebblesheen has cracked three times. Each time the PB mixed black and white pool putty together to get a gray (that didn't match my plaster very well ) and mooshed it into the crack. It cures underwater. One of the three cracks leaked and it hasn't leaked in 4 or 5 years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Our pebblesheen has cracked three times. Each time the PB mixed black and white pool putty together to get a gray (that didn't match my plaster very well ) and mooshed it into the crack. It cures underwater. One of the three cracks leaked and it hasn't leaked in 4 or 5 years.
    Great! I'll look into that. Do you know if I'd need to open the crack wider to get down to the gunite and put putty there too or would just sealing the crack be enough?
    22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

He dug around in it a bit with a flathead screwdriver to remove any loose material first and that's it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach