Expansion Joints

Feb 20, 2017
Cochran GA
Hi everyone,

Quik question, do I have to fill in my expansion joints?
I have no problem filling them in, just wondering if everyone else does. If it's one of those "yes, you really should do that" things.

second, if I should fill them in, what should I use?
I have cantilever coping around my fiberglass pool, so I do have vertical expansion joints as well as your typical ones on top of the deck.

thanks for any help.

eric

Those would be control joints. A true expansion joint completely isolates the deck from another structure or object with some sort of compressible filler (usually styrofoam). These joints do typically get filled since they are usually 1/2"-3/4" wide and would be rather unsightly without a filler.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fascinating! I just realized I have cantilevered coping. It looks different than a lot of others.
Heard others discussing it but never knew what they meant. And yes it's control joints.

Thats great! I really like my coping, I know there is also a round coping which is bullnose and an inclined coping where it comes out past your pool at the top then comes back in toward the pool at the bottom. There may be more, mine is flat.

Eric

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.