Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expansion Joints

1. Back To Top    #1

Expansion Joints

Hi everyone,

Quik question, do I have to fill in my expansion joints?
    I have no problem filling them in, just wondering if everyone else does. If it's one of those "yes, you really should do that" things.

second, if I should fill them in, what should I use?
    I have cantilever coping around my fiberglass pool, so I do have vertical expansion joints as well as your typical ones on top of the deck.

thanks for any help.

eric
    IG Fiberglass 10,000 Gal; Pentair Superflow 1HP Single Speed Pump; Hayward Sand Filter(S244T); Solaxx SWG, Hayward Heat Pro Heat Pump 110,000 BTU; 12 Mil Solar Cover w/ Reel; Pool Completion Date Oct 1 2016; Top Off Using Softened And Filtered Well Water; TF-100 Test Kit And Aquachek Salt Strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expansion Joints

No, expansion joints should not be filled.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, it's spring time and I've been putting a lot of effort into the pool and just coming into these little sorts of questions that I'm on unsure of, so I really appreciate the forum, and all the help, thanks!

Eric
    IG Fiberglass 10,000 Gal; Pentair Superflow 1HP Single Speed Pump; Hayward Sand Filter(S244T); Solaxx SWG, Hayward Heat Pro Heat Pump 110,000 BTU; 12 Mil Solar Cover w/ Reel; Pool Completion Date Oct 1 2016; Top Off Using Softened And Filtered Well Water; TF-100 Test Kit And Aquachek Salt Strips.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you talking about expansion or control joints? Expansion joints are made with a flexible material. Control joints are Saw cuts or tooled lines to force concrete to crack.
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Those would be control joints. A true expansion joint completely isolates the deck from another structure or object with some sort of compressible filler (usually styrofoam). These joints do typically get filled since they are usually 1/2"-3/4" wide and would be rather unsightly without a filler.
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think there is an expansion joint because it is a cantilever deck.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Ah, and that's why I love this forum. I didn't realize it, but I am talking about control joints, thank you for clarifying that for me.

Eric

- - - Updated - - -

If any of you have much experience with cantilever decking, could you please take a look at my other post, regarding a horizontal crack along the control joint that I'm a little concerned about.

Hairline Crack - Cantilever Coping

Eric

8. Back To Top    #8

Is that colored or stained concrete?
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Fascinating! I just realized I have cantilevered coping. It looks different than a lot of others.
    Heard others discussing it but never knew what they meant. And yes it's control joints.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pyrodav,

My concrete is stained.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Fascinating! I just realized I have cantilevered coping. It looks different than a lot of others.
    Heard others discussing it but never knew what they meant. And yes it's control joints.

Thats great! I really like my coping, I know there is also a round coping which is bullnose and an inclined coping where it comes out past your pool at the top then comes back in toward the pool at the bottom. There may be more, mine is flat.

Eric