New Build in Las Vegas need imput!

myvegaspool

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
las vegas, NV
Hello everyone! My name is Michael and I am just starting down the road to building a pool here in Las Vegas. I have talked to some locals here to help me out (thanks everyone!) I am trying
to get a handle on the design process at this point. I have a layout of what I am thinking of doing and would love some imput especially about placement of jets/scimmers/lighting etc....we
do want to heat the pool so we will be putting a gas heater in...any thoughts on solar in Las Vegas??? Plus any thoughts on decking or anything else would be greatly appreciated!

HI! I love your design! You will LOVE the corner benches! I see you are going 8' deep! NICE! That will make it extra fun!

I would love to see some pictures of where the pool will be going. That will help us know what you are working with.

Are you going with a Pool Builder or are you going to try to do it on your own?

Kim:kim:

The last owners built a "Viewing Platform" in the back yard..we have a great view of the Las Vegas Strip and valley...we are
getting rid of it as there is a much better view from the upstairs balcony..that's why we are looking to expand that.

Only thing I might mention is having a tree directly over your water. If it never "drops" anything I suppose it won't hurt much, but I've got a tree that HATES me and constantly drops stuff in the pool (that stains the surface). Also it seems like brushing would be a pain in that corner, as in the handle getting caught in the tree. Might not hurt to get a brush now (you'll need one anyway) and "practice" brushing the pool to see.

Hi Michael,

It's going to be beautiful. Since I don't see a diving board, my only suggestion would be to consider putting the bench along the deep end (connect the two corners) and skip it in the shallow end. The reason being is people will stand in 4' of water and lean on the sides of the pool and be comfortable. Shorter kids could sit on the sun shelf and hop on and off. You will utilize the deep end much more with a bench out there (most people do). People will want to gather there too if they don't have to tread water. My kids like to jump in and they can easily swim over to the deep end bench. Rest, jump again, hang out, etc. The corners look great but only sit one person each. If you do plan on diving you would need a longer pool anyway (unless there is a severe slope down to 8').

I love gas heating. I have gas so I can' help with solar, sorry. Consider putting returns at the bench areas. Everyone loves sitting in front of them when it's chilly and the heater is on.

I'd put the skimmer on the tree end to catch debris quicker.

How you plan to use your pool is what really counts though. So what is good for me is certainly not good for everyone. Just food for thought. Enjoy getting to the finish line. It's exciting planning and even better once it's done.

Thanks for the input...the tree is going away!!! Once we are done we are going to put new landscaping around the edges of the yard to create shade etc...

Will think about the benches...I put the one along the tanning ledge as I would think that people would want to sit in the pool while hanging with people up on the ledge..plus the bench
in the bottom corner has a pretty good view of the mountains...I am toying with the idea of putting 2 "L" shaped benches in the deep end corners so that 2 people could sit there and talk
face to face...

Make one leg of each of those "L" benches about 42-46" deep for standing ledges. Check out our pool build in my signature for a real world example. Mine are slightly shallower at 36" and would like them slightly deeper even though I love them anyway.

I'm not one of the experts, but regarding the skimmer placement, I believe if possible you want them facing into the prevailing wind, so the wind will help push the floating debris into the skimmer. But as I'm sure you are aware, the wind changes rather often in Las Vegas. I seem to remember reading on here that a lot of people are now using two skimmers, which while costing a bit more for plumbing, might be a nice way to go, so that you can capture the two most frequent wind directions, so I'd consider having one facing westerly, and one facing northerly on opposite ends of the pool.

As for lights, the consensus seems to be it's best to point away from the residence, and not in the "swim lane" so you don't get blinded if you're swimming at night. Also a good idea to not have them point at seating areas if you can avoid that as well. I chose to go with led lights because I like the look of changing the water color at night.

You'd think solar heating would be a great option in Las Vegas. I've read some pretty negative opinions about doing this here. Most having to do with longevity, the cost of moving the water from the pool to the roof, leaking panels causing damage to the roof, and freeze issues over the winter. The other thing that seems to be that overcoming all of those negatives only results in the extension of a couple weeks on each side of the swim season as compared to using a surface bubble cover, and some supplemental use of the gas heater. Which all boils down to whether the cost is justified, especially if you've already got a heater for a spa. Now, that's what I've read on the internet (which is always right, right? LOL) as I have zero experience with it. When I discussed this with my PB, he was very non-committal about it, but suggested I plumb my system with stub outs in case I (or the next owner) chose to go down that road, which is exactly what I did. I figure I'll see how it goes over a summer without it, and go from there.

On decking...lots of options depending on your taste and budget. I looked at as many build threads as I could, saved pictures to show the wife, and we changed our mind several times, and in the end, decided this was a place where we could compromise, and went with a less expensive option to put money elsewhere. One thing on your design I would be wary of, is the part where you are showing a 38' x 8' strip of grass separated by 3' of deck to the water (bottom of your plan) In my last house, I had a pool with grass separated by a 3' walkway. It was impossible to mow it, without grass ending up in the pool, so I personally would never do that again. Unless you're planning to use artificial turf, which would then solve that problem..;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lots of good advice esp about that strip of grass. I noticed the hot tub away from the pool. Do you already have a free standing one? I think the balcony is nice esp since it looks like you are extending it. For decking, given how hot it gets where you are, travertine would look lovely and also stays cool. I am not a huge fan of how cooldek looks but it does do as the name suggests and stays cool and is cheaper than travertine.

Looks great. One comment on gas vs. solar in Las Vegas, you're really only going to use it for 2-3 months a year. During the summer, pool will be 80-90 without heating it. It depends if you're doing it to save money or if you are trying to go green. I've had gas and on average, my gas bill was only $50-$75 more on moths i heated the pool. The cost to heat the spa was insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So I would consider how many times you plan on heating the pool itself (I would do it 3-5 times/year), versus the cost of solar. In my opinion, $5k plus for solar wasn't worth it, but it will depend on your use.

Good luck.

Nice design and congrats on taking the plunge along with many others of us lol. There are at least 4 members on here doing builds or are in the process right now. I would be happy to help anyway I can as others have helped me, feel free to PM me anytime
Will

Thanks for all the help and imput....here is a updated design with some more info and placement of things....
Any suggestions as to how many returns I should have and where to put them?? I love the suggestion to put them at the benches so you can sit in front of the warm water..just worried that if I
did this in the deep end benches the skimmers would just suck the warm water out of the pool?????

Here is a picture of our back yard this morning...Crazy wind storm blew our tree over..lucky for us we have a big yard so it fell and didn't squish anything!!! Plus we were going to cut it down for the pool so it saves us some time and effort!!!

I wouldnt worry much about that. I don't know how many seconds it takes for water to travel from the skimmers back to the returns but it isn't very many.

That wind yesterday sucked. But it's funny how fast we acclimate...as that was pretty much every afternoon where we moved from, especially in the spring. Days like that remind us of just what we're not missing...;) But maybe it happened, just to save you the work in taking down that tree?

I see you thought about mowing grass, and said, "yuck"...;) That's one of the best parts about being in the desert...no grass to mow...LOL! Are you planning on using LED lights? If it's in your budget, I'd put at least 3, and hopefully 4 in the main body of the pool, and one in the sun deck. And read the specs to find ones that will cast across the 18' pool width.

Another thing that I read about here on the forum that might be really nice with your design is a "standing" shelf at the deep end. It would be nice for those who want to stand, but stay cool in the deep end. I'd put it between the two corner seating areas you have in the deep end. You'd still be able to swim, but would have a little ledge to stand on.

Something else that I may have messed up on is that I didn't want an infloor cleaning system, as it was expensive, and I've read mixed reviews on how well they work. But I've also got an 8' baja shelf that's not going to get cleaned by the cleaner/robot. Some solutions are to plumb a couple 1" returns to the shelf, but my PB didn't have a good experience with that. Or, you could have the infloor heads installed just on the shelf to blow gunk into the main pool for the cleaner to pick up. Otherwise, it's manual brush and vacuum. Having never had one of these, I didn't give it much thought, until it was too late to automate it, so I'll hope it's not a big deal to maintain. And if it is, well, I'll have something to do better next time...;)

How's progress? I picked up my permit from NLV at the beginning of April. Excavation was fast! The plumber I wanted, tho, was too busy, so I spent the next month calling every shop in town. Finally, called my first choice back and begged. They were out 3 days later. Today was steel. Wednesday is Electrical...

How's progress? I picked up my permit from NLV at the beginning of April. Excavation was fast! The plumber I wanted, tho, was too busy, so I spent the next month calling every shop in town. Finally, called my first choice back and begged. They were out 3 days later. Today was steel. Wednesday is Electrical...

Where is your build thread hole???? We would LOVE to follow :)
We have ALOT of builds going on in Vegas right now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.