What are the benefits of brushing my pool?

TroyB

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
Houston, TX
The weekly brushing of the walls of my pool is my least favorite pool maintenance task. Why is this necessary?

I have been out of town and sick the past two weeks so it had been three weeks since I last brushed my pool. After brushing I noticed no difference in the water. No clouds kicked up with the brush or anything. So I just have to ask....What are the benefits of weekly brushing?

Honestly, I have yet to brush my pool. I've had it open, while living her for about 3 months (2 last season, and 1 this season). Unless you count the little bit of brushing that happens when I vacuum, but that's only the floor of the pool. I'm happy with how mine looks, so I just haven't added the extra work.

I think brushing helps minimize the risk of algae spots in areas that get poor circulation. Especially important in plaster pools or pools with surfaces where algae can grow easily. Harder for vinyl. Brushing also keeps everything stirred up so the filter can catch the particles.

TroyB said:
The weekly brushing of the walls of my pool is my least favorite pool maintenance task. Why is this necessary? So I just have to ask....What are the benefits of weekly brushing?
It takes me about 10 minutes to brush the pool, fifteen if I have to pull pool toys out first! I do the 10 minute brush job every other day and drop the Polaris in for 2 hours on the days when I don't brush. I start brushing, do chemical checks, then finish brushing. 8)

Brushing knocks anything loose that sticks to the sides or bottom and allows it to be suspended in the water and picked up by the filter. If you do have algae starting, it'll stir it up which allows the chlorine to kill it and then the chlorine can start on whatever is still attached, if anything.

It's kind of like any other preventive maintenance: Preventing problems.

If you talk to waterbear he'll tell you that weekly isn't enough!

DaveNJ said:
I agree on using a Wall Whale. The DW didn't like brushing, she doesn't mind it using the WW. Which works for me! ssshhh :whoot:

With brushing twice a week, I find I can get away with manual vacuuming once every two weeks on average, or even longer depending on a number of factors. I precede the brush with a raking of the bottom with a leaf catcher, if it needs it. Of course when I brush, I brush completely, both walls and bottom. This helps stir everything up so a good portion ends up in the filtering system.

Also, my arms get a nice workout when I brush. Wall Whale? I don't need no stinkin' wall whale. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.