Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pump Run Time suggestions.

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pump Run Time suggestions.

Hi everyone,

I'm a new pool owner, we had our heat pump installed a few days ago and and in Georgia the weather is all over the place the last couple of days of been 80 plus, the next three days the highs will be in the 60s and then the following week mid 70s. We may or may not swim when the temperatures in the mid-70s, but definitely won't be swimming while the temperature outside is in the 60s. Because the last couple of days have been so warm we went ahead and got the pool heated up to 85, my question is for the next several days should I turn the heat pump off, should I lower the temperature on the heat pump, or should I just keep it running at 85 and when it's warm enough outside the heat pump will try to keep the temperature at 85.

Since I've never owned a heat pump I don't really have any experience with the situation any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric
    IG Fiberglass 10,000 Gal; Pentair Superflow 1HP Single Speed Pump; Hayward Sand Filter(S244T); Solaxx SWG, Hayward Heat Pro Heat Pump 110,000 BTU; 12 Mil Solar Cover w/ Reel; Pool Completion Date Oct 1 2016; Top Off Using Softened And Filtered Well Water; TF-100 Test Kit And Aquachek Salt Strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pump Run Time suggestions.

I would turn it on several, 3, 4 or 5, days before you think you are going to swim. I keep an eye on the forecast and everyone's plans and if there are some warm days coming up when people are around to swim I'll turn on the heat pump. Otherwise, I leave it off. You might want to just lower the temp though, to 80 maybe, if you think the temp might drop too much.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Pooldv-

Thank you for the response. I wasn't sure if there was a better or worse scenario. I think I'll shut it off and monitor the pool temp over the next few days, into next week. I just don't see us swimming until it's closer to 80 degrees outside.
    IG Fiberglass 10,000 Gal; Pentair Superflow 1HP Single Speed Pump; Hayward Sand Filter(S244T); Solaxx SWG, Hayward Heat Pro Heat Pump 110,000 BTU; 12 Mil Solar Cover w/ Reel; Pool Completion Date Oct 1 2016; Top Off Using Softened And Filtered Well Water; TF-100 Test Kit And Aquachek Salt Strips.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, it is tempting with the warm weather to push it. For us 80, or close to it, sunny and not windy is what we're looking for.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach