CC: 0
PH 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 330
CYA: 30
Temp: 64
CSI: -.28

Taylor test kit

I was reading that with my SWG I should have a lower FC with a minimum of 3 and target of 5 when I get my CYA levels to 70 or so. I have my aqua pure running at 5% and it is holding the FC stable at 7. Do I just shut it down until my FC comes into spec?
Should I bump my CYA to 70 while the water is cold and no use of the pool?
Should I bump my CH to 400 with a PebbleTec pool that is 1 month filled?
How concerned should I be with the CSI #'s

Thanks in advance
TJ

At 5% runtime, I would leave the SWG alone unless your FC goes over 10 ppm....then shut it down for a bit.

Bump your CYA whenever you get ready

Leave CH alone it will begin to slowly rise anyway

I don't calculate CSI.

TJ,

I would not do a thing about your FC of 7. Better to be just little above the target, then allowing the FC to ever dip too low.

At 5% SWCG output, my guess is you are running your pump 24/7 or close to it... I'd bet you on this, but you have a slight advantage.. :laughblue:

For me anyway, testing CYA does not appear to be too accurate when my water is too cold. I'd let the water warm up to room temp before doing any tests, just to make sure you don't add too much CYA...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe
Thanks for the reply
My pump (set by the builder) is running 12hrs from 8am - 8pm. They set the swg at 20% and once the water crossed 60deg it started making/adding to my FC. I had manually dosed to 6 and it climbed 1 per day to 9. I have let it fall to 7 and it has stayed stable at 7 with a 5% output. We haven't had a lot of sun here however.
What still confuses me is that the PoolMath and cya/chlorine chart differ on minimum and target FC levels assuming a SWG.
TJ

TJ,

The critical part is the minimum FC level. You really don't want your FC to fall below 3 or 4. Since CYA testing is somewhat subjective it is often hard to tell the difference between 70 and 80.

With a CYA of 80 the minimum FC is 4 and the target is 6 ppm. That works for people who actively test to ensure the FC stays at 6. But most people (like me) will often get a little lazy about testing and need a little buffer to make sure the FC never goes below 4.

With a CYA level in the 70 to 80 range it is safe to swim with FC up in the 20's, so keeping your FC slightly higher than the target is safe and allows for less constant testing.

You don't have to be perfect, close is close enough.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I will just add, that unless you have a water feature like a waterfall you want to see running most of the day I would cut back on the run time. You do have a VSP, so it could be running at a very efficient slow speed, but 12 hours is seldom necessary.

Just remember, should you decide to cut back on the pump run time to increase the SWG %. With the SWG at 5% now, if you cut the pump down to 6 hours you would want to increase the SWG to 10% to make the same amount of chlorine in the reduced pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.