Question about hayward eyeball skimmer closing

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I was just reading the manual for the skimmer and it says to drain 6 inches below the returns (like TFP recommends) but then it says to remove the eyeball return and put in a threaded cap plug. Why do you need to do that if the water is drained 6 inches below? Since I will not be the one installing the pool & skimmer this spring I'm worried about taking it off and putting it back on. Can I just leave the eyeball return and skimmer in place all winter?

Why do you need to do that if the water is drained 6 inches below?
Because it rains and it snows and the pool can fill up above the return and fill the pipe with water again. And then if it freezes after that, it could burst the pipes and/or fittings.

Can I just leave the eyeball return and skimmer in place all winter?
I wouldn't. You risk damage over the winter.

What if you use a plug for the return and an aquador for the skimmer. Would you need to drain the pool below the returns?

I've seen mixed answers on this for above ground pool owners. I should note that I use a micro mesh cover that allows water to get into the pool. I like it so I don't have to worry about getting rain off the cover.

Does the aquador seal the skimmer so no water can get through? Also, you would still need to drain the lines by disconnecting them from the skimmer and the return. To be safe, I would leave them disconnected during the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.