Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water turnover

1. Back To Top    #1

Water turnover

Is there an ideal number of turnovers my pool water should get per day?
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water turnover

Old school recommends three to four. However current philosophy is enough to clean and mix chemicals is all you really need

3. Back To Top    #3

No. This issue has been discussed many times on this forum. There is literally no truth to needing a specific number of turnovers in a pool. User mas985 has a link to a pool study done in FL that shows that the vast majority of pools needed only 2 hours of pump run time regardless of "turnover rate" to distribute the pool chemicals evenly and filter the water to an aesthetically desirable level. Look up any of his posts and the link is in his signature. You can read it all for yourself.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Look up any of his posts and the link is in his signature. You can read it all for yourself.
    I'll look up his postings, thanks.

In regards to infloor cleaning heads, do they generally just need 1 full rotation at high speed for maintenance cleaning?

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll save you some time, the link is below.

As for the infloor heads, Just run long enough to clean up the floors. I think most here run around at least 2 hours. But that fits perfectly to the recommended run time. If two hours is not enough for the infloors or skimmers to do their job, increase run time until it is.

However, I see you have an IC40. You will need to run long enough for that to reach your FC target.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I ran my pump for 3 hours daily early last season then switched to 2 hours after finding Marks article.

I found 2 hours just as effective as 3.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

For my part using the concepts here have slowly reduced the time to roughly 2 hours in the early evenings ( when I add chemicals ). In the fall if I get more leaves in the pool I may run for a bit longer, but 2 hours seems plenty to keep surface material to a minimum.
    In Ground 17X29 90 ft perimeter; 3.5 to 5 depth; 15,000 gallons, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Jandy stealth 1.5 HP 2 speed, Jandy 450 SQ cartridge, Jandy JXi 400K BTU NG, POLARIS 280 W/ HP booster pump, North Texas

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm running 4 right now, mostly for my Zodiac to get the leaves. I have two sets of intermatic trippers and go from 4-6am and 4-6pm. This allows a more constant FC level from my SWCG, as well as 2 hours once I get home from work to add chemicals. Working like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by TriPool View Post
    For my part using the concepts here have slowly reduced the time to roughly 2 hours in the early evenings ( when I add chemicals ). In the fall if I get more leaves in the pool I may run for a bit longer, but 2 hours seems plenty to keep surface material to a minimum.
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

9. Back To Top    #9

Would you say it's better to blast the infloors with higher RPM's for a shorter amount of time vs lower RPM (still high speed settings though) for a bit longer? I'm curious if getting debris suspended in the water allows it to be filtered out easier that way.