Manual to automatic gear selections (pics)

Hi all,

OK, so here goes! Client has a lap pool....38' X 16' is about 20K gallons. Heres the layout:

Please bare in mind they are in no particular order

Client had me rewire just a few weeks ago, DID NOT want automation....(ok)
Panel.jpg

air-inlet.jpg

OLD heater
filter---heater.jpg

manual-valves.jpg

pump-discharge-port.jpg

spa-jet-pump.jpg

spa.jpg

sweeper-pump-II.jpg

sweeper-pump.jpg

I am waiting until this job is completed before I paint the pipe...yes I know I am messy with primer!!

For the sake of knowing there is a solar system installed. LX 220 that is totally and completely on its own system with its own 2 hp booster pump (WP).

As you can see the valves to switch back and forth from spa and pool are a PITA to get to. My clients are getting older and they are not that easy to turn. The panel was just done so that makes this a little more complicated, because the idea is to not tear it out and put in a new load center...

Here's what I am thinking about:

New VS-3050 (2 h.p.)
New Sun Touch controller with actuators
Wireless remote / spa side remote is a possibility
Chlorine Generator is a possibility (but more luxury)

Was thinking I could ditch the sweeper pump and tie it into the new VS 3050 and have another actuator to control flow (and slow the pump speed down). I still need to sell this job, so the idea of saving money in the long run will play a big part in all this, I figure ditching that old dedicated pump will help. I just finished installing a brand new Master Temp 400 Nat Gas installation and that things works like a champ. I'm getting about 1 degree every 5 minutes in the pool and the spa from 74 to 98 is just over an hour!!

I am having a hard time finding out the exact abilities of that controller. Does the Easy Touch Wireless remote work with it? Or should I just use the Quick Touch wireless remote?

The pic that shows the manual valves is located about 80 feet away from the pool equipment pad. Re- directing all that over to the pad will be a PITA, but is possible.

I guess what I am getting at, is I would like to automate the ability to switch back and forth from spa mode (with or with out heat) and the same for the pool. I also want to turn spa jets on and off. Sweeper doesn't not need to be activated via remote, but I assume the new controller will take care of that? Does this unit work ONLY via relays? Does it make sense $$$$$ wise to relay everything or use an East Touch system for everything?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right and be able to utilize as much of the work already done as possible..Thanks

The SunTouch can control valve actuators and relays. As far as I know the only RF remote that works is the QuickTouch. The SunTouch is an acceptable choice for a basic system, though most owners end up regretting not getting a fancier system.

The IntelliFlo VS-3050 will not be able to run a pressure side cleaner that is designed to work with a booster pump. It can't develop quite that much pressure. It will work just fine with a pressure side cleaner designed to work with your normal pool pump.

Thanks,

That's what I was wondering.... Is it not possible to run the filter & spa jets on one larger VS-3040...like maybe a 3 HP unit? In an ideal world I would be able to ditch all 3 of those pumps and have it all run off one larger 3040 with everything actuated. Is that what you are saying won't have enough power to do?

It depends on the spa setup. The IntellFlo will work well for both filtering and spa use as long as the spa is happy with about 100 GPM or less. Some spas require a higher flow rate than that.

Since you appear to be replacing a 1 1/2 HP spa pump, the IntelliFlo should be fine.

You need to keep in mind that other parts of the plumbing may get more complicated to support a single pump system. Both the filter and heater either need to support the required flow rate or be partially bypassed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.