Upgrading my equipment pad; need advice, suggestions and tips!

Feb 11, 2017
California
Hey all,

I'm updating my pool equipment. I purchased an Pentair Intelliflo 011018 (overkill for my pool, but it's such a nice pump that I had to have it), Pentair CCP420 and a FlowVis. I've never plumbed before but my dad will be helping me out (he's done sprinkler systems). Any tips or suggestions?

I'm in California. The pool has 3 returns (1.5 inch), dedicated Polaris line, and the main drain connects to the skimmer. I believe the skimmer is 2 inch plumbing, I could be wrong. I also have a sewer line that I won't be using since I won't be backwashing, what should I do with that?

I will be purchasing a robotic cleaner too. I don't know what to do with the Polaris line yet, suggestions?

Also, where should I cut?

I'll be adding pictures.

Da,

I want to know why the people with the simplest pad set-ups provide such great pics, while the owners of monster pads, can't seem to provide one... :scratch:

Good job on the pics. :goodjob:

If your father has done sprinklers he can help you do this.

Some things that pop into my mind is spread things out and give yourself some room...

Put the filter where you can get to the drain plug and also be able to take the top on/off without have to straddle piping.

Always use pump unions to install your new Intelliflo. They have an O-ring on the threaded side and look like this.... Union.jpg

I'd cap off the pressure cleaner line just above the ground.

I'd set the pump and filter back at least a foot or so from the front edge of the pad. Give yourself plenty of working room and space to add changes in the future if you ever need them.

Thanks for posting.

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the compliment on the pics!

Those are some great suggestions, thank you. I do have the unions on the way too.

Do I have to do anything with the Polaris line from inside the pool if I cap it on the outside, like a plug or just leave it as is?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Da,

Upon further review.. this is what I would do...

You could also plumb it into the return side of your pool.. this would make it into a small return, always keeping the water clean. You would just be removing the Booster pump and connecting the input and output of the booster pump together. I would use regular PVC pipe just to make it pretty, but you could use the flexible pipe that is already there.

Jim R.

Da,

Yep... Just think of it as removing the booster pump, and then connecting the booster pump's input directly to its output.

I don't have pressure side cleaner, never have, so I'm assuming that the port in the pool wall is always open. If this is not true, then you'd need to keep it open, or just cap off the equipment pad end.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, that should work fine, my pressure cleaner line always has a little water flowing through it when the cleaner is disconnected and the pump is off.

Mine has a reduced size fitting that the cleaner hose twists into. I'm not sure if you could put an eyeball fitting on it. But, if you can that would be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Da,

Where you cut is not really important unless you are an idiot like me... :p

I did not realize it, but my equipment was about 6" lower than my pool.. It was not apparent to me at the time. I cut the pipe off in the ground and of course since the water level in the pool, was high than the cut in the pipe, I was suddenly in a California flood zone... It took about half an hour for it to stop draining... One of those, "Boy that was stupid moments" that you generally don't repeat.

I only say this because if I were in there anyway, I'd seriously think about removing the check valve at the bottom of the white intake pipe to the pump. If needed, you can add a better check valve above ground..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

That's what I'm afraid of if I take off that check valve because I think there's a 90 elbow right after leading to the skimmer. I'll have to dig a little deeper to check. Maybe I could plug the skimmer?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hey all,

So I managed to finish my upgrade. We had a bit of trouble thanks to the uneven concrete that makes up the equipment pad and crooked pipes coming from the ground. So it is by no means perfect, but everything is flowing right; no leaks.

Here are some pics:

Da,

Looks so much better!!! Good job.

The pump unions makes it so much easier to install a pump.

I assume you are using the old pressure side cleaner port for an extra pool return??

Thanks for the follow up pics...

Jim R.

I know I'm late to post, but a 3 way valve between the pump and filter with the waste line incorporated can be used to vacuum directly to waste, and allow water to be lowered in the event of overfilling. I always include that valve when installing a cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.